Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new!
i have a 10 gallon tank and i was wondering if i could put a anemone for my vlownfish inside it?

thnx

·
Registered
675 Posts
I am also thinking of putting an annenamone in a 15 gallon and im thinking if you place the ananaomone in first and let him get settled(they move) and you keep your lighting and curculation the same hopfully he wont move and you can safely place your corals in

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
It really doesn't matter about the anemone. I had a bubble tip for both my yellow striped clowns. He stayed in the same place for a year and last week decide he didn't like the spot so has been on the move ever since. If anemone doesn't like the spot he will move and there won't be anything you can do but wait for him to stop.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
What kind of clowns and type of lighting do you have?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
This is a tricky one... you CAN put an anemone into the 10 gallon, depending on the species (for ocellaris I'd stick with a bubble anemone) and how many other animals are in there, and of course the lighting, rate of evaporation and level of maintenance you are performing.
As was stated already, fluctuation happens faster and more extreme in a smaller tank, and keeping up with it can be tricky and even frustrating.
How many clowns are in the 10 gallon? What other animals are in there and how many?

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
(for ocellaris I'd stick with a bubble anemone)

Bettababy are you talking about the bubble tip, because I have one and its a goog 8-9" fully opened I don't think that would be a good one for a 10 gallon. Seeing how big mine has gotten.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Yes, I am talking about a bubble tip, and I have seen them kept in 10 gallon tanks, but yes, there would be a need to upgrade later, regardless of species of anemone. If you started out small, it could work for up to a year or more, but the whole concept is so much work, most people don't have the time or money to invest in keeping a 10 gallon healthy when you start to fill it up with inverts and fish together. That was part of the reason I had asked how many other animals were in there. With nothing else besides a bubble tip, and 1 or 2 clowns, the anemone could live in that tank for many years if the proper care is there.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I know, I've never heard someone suggest that species for a 10 gallon before, seeing how big mine has gotten. I can see why they don't.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Just a quick note: The reason I quoted a bubble tip is because of the type of clownfish that was mentioned. Different clowns grow to different sizes, and vary in aggression levels. The ocellaris is known to be one of the smallest species of clownfish, and it's host anemone tends to be a bubble tip.
The different species of clown have specific preferences in anemone species, and not all will work with just any anemone.
Something else to consider is whether the fish are wild caught or captive bred. Captive bred clowns don't always understand the use of an anemone, as this is a learned trait in the wild. Using an anemone is not strictly instinctual for them.
I hope this helps to clarify the information I posted earlier.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
How about a nice piece of frogspawn, hammer, or GSP coral instead? The needs are a lot less and the growth can be controlled through fragging. Clowns will host in them as well. It would be better to host them in a frilly mushroom or GSP (green star polyps) as clowns can kill Euphyllia (hammers Frogspawn, torch) corals by rubbing their thin skin over the skeletons. This will introduce infections. However I've seen them host for years in corals like that with no ill effects.

I would stay away from a small BTA with clowns. the Ocel are the most docile but I've seen many anemones killed by their greedy and needy clowns. A small BTA stuck in a 10g might not be able to retreat from an over eager host.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
What I love about my pair of gold striped clowns and there anemone is they will feed the anemone first before they eat. I guess its there way of paying rent.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My maroons will pull out whatever I feed my anemones. They feel as though the food is the intruder. I've heard it from many owners beside myself. I envy you USMC. I have another friend that his clowns do the same. They feed the anemone first.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I don't know how it happened, I had the first clown since before he was able to swim on his own(LOL). Then the 2nd one had a rough ride with getting the mess beat out of him for a while. After a few weeks the bigger one stopped then invited him to his anemone. Now you can't separate them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts