Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Heres' my new Ctenopoma Acutirostre. She's in my QT tank right now. I named her Spook. I don't usually name all my fish but sometimes a name just comes to me. Also, I'm not certain it's a female but I'm not seeing any spines in the gill area. Is this a sure way to sex these fish? She's about 3" right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Here are some pics of the sparkling gouramis I use to have. Beautiful little gems. They spawned for me once and had fry, but I had no success in raising them. Loved watching them. I slowly lost them one by one for some reason. I hope to get some more eventually. Also Here is a video I took of two males displaying and making the clicking/croaking sound. Probably the best video I've ever taken. I never got tried of watching them do that, you could here it across the room.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Nice pics. Cool video too. Such a pretty little fish. I see you had threadfins also.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Really nice video. I love the sounds they make. I had no idea they were able to do that. Thanks for sharing :-D

Jeaninel- LOVE the Ctenopoma Acutirostre. Such a cool looking fish.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I knew they could make noise when I got them. Though the web described it as croaking. IMO frogs make a croaking sound. It took me a week to figure out what was making that sound. I figure out pretty quickly that it was coming from some where around the fish tank. I wasn't able to put the rapid clicking sound I heard with "croaking". I was sitting buy the tank watching them one day when they started clicking. Then I felt like an idiot. Who wouldn't of suspect the fish of making noise:lol:

Now I want to know how they make that sound! For the life of me I can't figure it out. Two fish have to touch just slightly and one vibrates its body and you somehow get a rapid clicking that you can hear from about 15 feet away:-?. I've had guests notice it. They give me weird looks when I say,"It's just the fish". :roll:

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
When I first got my loaches I'd hear clicking at feeding time and assumed it was being caused by their wafers or pellets hitting upside the acrylic. Then one morning they raced out and started that noise before the food hit the tank. I think it's so interesting when fish make sounds. You have a great collection of fish! :)

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
That's a gorgeous Pearl. I've never seen one with so much red in the body.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Here's my Gourami's! They live in a 55G.

Blue

little Opaline

Gold... he's a bossy butt during the day when the Knifefish is in his cave. (He didn't want his photo taken either!)

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
jeaninel, how big is your ctenopoma? Does he ever look interested in eating the cories?

Beautiful fish, by the way.
Spook is a good 6" now. She never gave the cories a second glance. But I've since moved all my cories to the angel tank since it has a sand substrate and I noticed their barbels starting to wear down even though my gravel is fairly rounded.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dwarf gourami

Gourami.jpg

Hopefully I'll have better pictures of him once I get a better camera (this was with my cell phone and the only way to get a picture of him that didn't make him look pink was to do it from an angle).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haha, nothing wrong with pink, but it's just not the color of the fish :p

Didn't notice that I got a pic of one of my ghost shrimp in there as well. It's on the left (assuming it's a female since it's pretty big).

21 - 40 of 68 Posts