Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to add a lot of fish to an already cycled tank I expect an ammonia spike but through it all should I expect a nitrite spike too as if I was still cycling the tank?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes you will se a ammonia and nitrites spike.. but not as high or long as a new tank... My 10g bowfront was completetly cycled... I put in 4 rasbora tetra 1 white cloud and 1 dwarf red flame gourami and my ammonia went back up to .50ppm for like 3-4 days

·
Registered
319 Posts
this question depends on a lot of things.. starting with how large is the tank and how many is a lot of fish and of what species.. 20 little neon's in a 75 gallon tank would be minimal... 20 large angel fish in the same tank would be a death sentence ...it also l depends on how strong your biological filter is and how you prepared it.. if and only if you prepared a very strong filter capable of high loads in an appropriate sized tank could you get away with it... otherwise slow and steady wins the race. Which in most cases when it comes to fish keeping is the key to success..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts