Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some advice.... quick.... if possible.
PH 7.2
Ammonia at this time .25
Nitrite-unknown
Nitrate- Unknown.
(lfs did not have test kit . Had to buy separate and they were out of Nitrite and nitrate tests)

30 gal.
Established tank over 3 months ago.
I have 2 adult platys
6 juvenile platys
3 adult male guppys
3 female guppys.... (others are in other tanks) (all parameters are good in those)
1 Cory ( I believe that is what it is)
Moved pleco out of tank 3 days ago due to aggressiveness towards tank mates. (using him to setup a new tank)

I have been using test strips up until today. I went to lfs to buy a test kit ( have had experience with them) and when I tested the community tank the ammonia level was .50.
I did a 50 % water change and the ammonia level is down but still at .25.... I do not want to stress them out but not sure when it will be better to do another water change. It has been along time since I have had issues with this and cannot remember how often for guppys. I do not like using chemicals to set or change things but need to know if there is something that I can do to help my friends.

Please any help is appreciated and I learn quick*S*
:-(

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Doing a water change is FAR less stressful than being poisoned.... ;-) I'd do another water change to get it down further.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just finished doing 2 50% water change......waiting the 5 min. until I can say for sure. Just wish I knew what caused the spike. should I keep a check everyday? or wait a few days before I check it again?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
just finished doing 2 50% water change......waiting the 5 min. until I can say for sure. Just wish I knew what caused the spike. should I keep a check everyday? or wait a few days before I check it again?
Some water conditioners provide false positives after a water change, and most bind ammonia and nitrite for about 24 hours. Do a test tomorrow and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did change my filter pad on wed. I guess I should have just rinsed the old one off or something. My ppm is now 0 thank goodness. that may have been why the other tanks are good and this one was bad.. It is the only one I changed. Thank you all so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts