Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every couple of weeks or so I have a few leaves on my Amazon Swords that turn yellow and then brown. Of course I trim these off but I was just wondering why this is happening? I always get new growth but I really want these plants to fill out. I put one root tab in between both plants a few weeks ago. Should I add another? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Post a pic, mine are doing that too but the leaves were brown spotted from the store. I figure as long as the new leaves coming up are at least as numerous as the trimmings, they are fine... I'm getting ahead with more growth than trimming right now but I think that they were languishing at the store for a while before my wife rescued them.

Jeff.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
That rapid a die-off of older leaves is not normal, so something is wrong. In addition to the data Boredom mentioned, what is the light (be specific)?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to get the GH tomorrow. I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive liquid fertilizer and Seachem root tabs in between the two Swords. As for light its a Aqueon NO T5 with one 6500k Daylight and one 6700k colormax.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I'll have to get the GH tomorrow. I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive liquid fertilizer and Seachem root tabs in between the two Swords. As for light its a Aqueon NO T5 with one 6500k Daylight and one 6700k colormax.
Posted via Mobile Device
To put the light in perspective, what size tank (length and volume), what length are the two tubes, and what is the daily duration? Flourish once or twice weekly? This plus the GH should help us.

Byron.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tank is a normal 4ft 75g, tubes are 4ft on for 11hrs a day and dose every Monday and Thursday.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GH is between 0 and 30 and KH is 40 using API test strips.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
If thats ppm then you DGH is less then 2. That's pretty soft water in fact a little too soft for plant. Plants usually do best with a hardness of no less then 5-6. Anything less than that then the water lacks minerals for the plants. This is some other problem and I will let Byron (or anyone else) weight in on this as I have water around 5-7 in my tanks and never had to raise the hardness. Also your lights (tubes and length) seem fine too me but I wonder if having them on for 11 hours is some other problem as well. Do you have other plants in this tank? If so are they showing problems?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew I had very soft water but that is the only plant not doing well. I have a bunch of different species in all my tanks. My moneywort tiger lotus and anachris grow like weeds. I don't know if its normal for these plants or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I knew I had very soft water but that is the only plant not doing well. I have a bunch of different species in all my tanks. My moneywort tiger lotus and anachris grow like weeds. I don't know if its normal for these plants or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
A photo would help. But at 30ppm the GH is very soft. I had to raise mine from the tap level of about 7ppm (wich is about half of 1 dGH) up to 5 or 6 dGH (90 to 107 ppm). In my case, the larger swords developed brown blotches on the leaves which became larger and larger until the entire leaf was dead. This was due to an excess of iron which replaces calcium when this is insufficient. And calcium is the major "hard" mineral, along with magnesium. Calcium is essential in cell formation and development in plants.

I agree the light sounds adequate. As for duration, algae is usually the detrmininant; I can only run my lights 8 hours daily or brush algae begins to increase. This means that up to 8 hours, the plants have sufficient nutrients to out-compete the algae. I started at 10 or so hours, and worked back to the point where algae stopped increasing.

You didn't answer about the Flourish, is it once or twice weekly? And at the recommended dose (in a 75g this would be about one teaspoon at each dose)? Which water conditioner, and how often are water changes done?

Byron.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a photo. You can see the tip starting to brown and just below that its yellowish. The leaf is greener then it appears in this photo but not as green as the new growth floating in front of it. Each plant as one or two leaves like this.

Flourish is twice weekly ( Monday and Thursday), Currently using Aqua Safe conditioner but also have Prime and water changed every Sunday.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
So you're not adding anything to increase the GH, correct? That is likely the issue. In my case, the iron deposits prevailed because calcium was basically nil. You have some with the GH at 30, so here it is general leaf decay. Calcium as I think I mentioned previously is essential for cell tissue building, so in my opinion the symptoms here are compatible with not sufficient hard minerals (calcium and magnesium primarily, potassium less). I would look into something like Equilibrium. I use this to raise my GH to 5 or 6 dGH, and the swords exploded with increased growth, size and several inflorescences.

Flourish twice is fine. Light as I said before is fine. I would try the Equilibrium, or a similar product. Seachem also have a new one out, Aqua Vitro I think, only available in select stores. And Brightwell Aquatics have a hard mineral supplement. I use the Equilibrium only because I can buy it online in bulk and save a lot of money; but if money wasn't the problem, I would be using one of the other mentioned products because they are liquid and easier to dose than E which is a powder.

AquaSafe is fine. Presumably you don't have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate issues so don't use Prime unless one of these is a problem at some point, or in a new setup.

Byron.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will most definitely look into an Equilibrium type product. The Equilibrium might be my only option as well. I'll do some looking on the web to see what some prices are. Now should I add this to all my tanks? Not all have Swords but if its going to benefit the plants then its well worth it IMO. Also do I replace what is lost in a water change? Will this affect my fish by changing the GH all of a sudden?

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I will most definitely look into an Equilibrium type product. The Equilibrium might be my only option as well. I'll do some looking on the web to see what some prices are. Now should I add this to all my tanks? Not all have Swords but if its going to benefit the plants then its well worth it IMO. Also do I replace what is lost in a water change? Will this affect my fish by changing the GH all of a sudden?
You don't need to raise the GH much. Walstad says 4 dGH is the minimum for plants; mine was less than 1, so I raise it to 5 or 6 dGH [one tank I keep at 6, the others at 5] and this made quite a difference in just a few weeks. In your case, at 30ppm [1.6 dGH] raising it to 5 dGH should be sufficient. At with such a low GH to start with, I have seen no issues with my wild caught soft water fish.

It takes some experimenting to get the dose correct, and yes you need to add it at every water change. One tablespoon raises the GH by 3 dGH per 20 gallons [Seachem's advice]. Start low and slowly build until 5 is reached when tested prior to the next water change; then depending upon the volume of the WC, add maybe one level tablespoon and test the following week. If you are consistent with water changes like I am, changing the same volume (half the tank) every week, it is quite easy to pin this down. As I posted in another thread yesterday, a week of tests showed that my GH in the 115g is 6 dGH prior to the WC, then it is halved to 3 right after, the next day it is back to 6 and it remains there for the week. The plants are using the calcium and magnesium obviously, but not so much as to make a difference with the API test kit.

All the plants will benefit, but if the plants in one tank seem fine now, I wouldn't mess with all this. The fish if soft water don't need it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you use to test your GH? Like I said before I'm using the API strips which can get a little expenisve. Is there an alternative?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
What do you use to test your GH? Like I said before I'm using the API strips which can get a little expenisve. Is there an alternative?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't use strips, but the API liquid test. The GH and KH test (both come together) is not that expensive, I get it for around $10 online here in Canada; the other day someone in the US mentioned $7. Once you get the rate down, you needn't test much if at all. I started this a year ago, in Dec 2011, and I think it took me maybe 4 or 5 weeks to sort out the dose. I tested a few weeks longer, just prior to each water change, and it was always the same. Then last week I decided to check this again, and the numbers were bang on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts