Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when I thought I was going to be happy that I found one Amano shrimp out of a trio alive and well, and scary enough, on top of a plant, just peaking out of the water. Unfortunately, as it turned out, it's two buddies I found under the table the tank was on, all dried up, meaning that they've escaped, and the only time that I could think of when it could have happened would be when I cleaned out the gravel, using either a plant or a wall to jump off of, or before I could the hood back on, walked out. This helped pointed out another difference between them and the ghost shrimp I have in my 20g, the Amano are in a 10g tank, is that ghost shrimp tend to stay in the water, Amano aren't afraid to step out of it.
What I find sad is that I've never found any warning about Amano shrimp being able to leave the tank, and the mean reason I've bought them was to handle any algae issues. So now, when the time comes, and hopefully the final shrimp lives until then, I'll try to order three more to keep the fella company, along with a couple of plants I've plan to order for my 20g.
Right now, for a plan B, if the place I plan to order the shrimp from are out, what would be a good substitute for Amano shrimp, either snails or algae eating fish? If there are any that would last in a 10g tank.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
What kind of algae? Diatoms? I have otos in my 10 but they generally aren't reccomended for tanks that small. I just happen to have an algae farm.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just your basic green type, and from what I understand about Otos, they don't touch the artificial food. In my 20g, I have three nerite snails to handle the algae, but if I were to get a snail for the 10g, I would try to find another species that are just as good as nerites, but won't try to escape, and leave the live plants I have alone.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I have enough algae to sustain my otos. They get no artificial food what-so-ever. Why are you against another nerite?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not against them, it's just that I have three tiger-blood nerites in my 20g and if I were to get more just for the 10g, I would like to get a different variation, like olive or zebra, mainly a little variety. But the place I'm going to order the plants from only have the tiger blood, and the only reason I would buy more of those is if the ones I have in the 20g die, and right now there is barely enough algae to contain more.
I will get more if there is no other option from the place, PetSolutions, has run out of both Otos and Amano Shrimp, but right now I'm just trying to keep all of my options open.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is one at least 2 hours away and I'm not sure how to keep them alive during the whole trip, especially during the summertime.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
They'll be fine in the bag. Do you have air in your car? If so, again, they'll do just fine. If not, just put them in a small cooler. Dollar tree has some :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don't have a car. I have to ask somebody for a lift and considering that it's summertime, anybody I do know will be spending it with their family before school starts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts