Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so exited! I borrowed my cousins camera and went a little crazy.

I took pictures of just about every tank, fish, and plant I have.

10G Livebearer Tank

Caught my ghost shrimp grabbing some baby tears...

And eating it- Bad dog!

The molly with ich :(

Marble Platy-

Variegated platy (?)- Likes to bully the other one

A particularly stunning guppy-

Another one of my favorites-

And last one- (looks like he needs to lose weight)

10G Cichlid Fry tank-(algae problems)

5G planted
no fish now, just 2 ghost shrimp and lots of snails. Plan on getting RCS and some ember tetras for it.

A pond snail crawling on the underside surface of the water.

A ramshorn-

MTS-

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Awesome pictures, Mr. MacGyver!! You should enter that ghost shrimp picture into the photo contest for this month. Great catch!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I entered it before I made the post. lol.

I took lots of pictures of the fish... (didn't even post all of them) but none of them popped out at me like the second shrimp pic.

Wanted to take pictures of the livebearer tank so I can remember how beautiful it was if the salt kills my plants... day 4 now, so far so good.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Great pictures, and I don't think you went too crazy. You can never have too many pics, lol. One thing I noticed, and this is just my opinion based only on my experience, but that doesn't look like ich on your Molly to me. It looks more like patchy white rather than distinct white dots which are characteristic of ich. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for sharing all your pics!!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I agree 100%. Not Ich. Ich looks just like little grains of salt, not white patches. And if it were Ich, most likely more of your fish would be showing white spots as well (highly contagious). Post in the diease section. That's a great idea.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I agree 100%. Not Ich. Ich looks just like little grains of salt, not white patches. And if it were Ich, most likely more of your fish would be showing white spots as well (highly contagious). Post in the diease section. That's a great idea.
I actually already had a topic there, but not much help yet. I posted a different subject to maybe get more help.

Great pictures, and I don't think you went too crazy. You can never have too many pics, lol.
I only posted 1/3 of them. Want more?
I like this one a lot... the blue guppy on the right has a cool reflection and I caught a pic of one upside down. he's not sick or anything- he was playing.

love his fins in this one...

The whole gang- stupd flash.

·
Registered
797 Posts
i definitely agree...not ich. quick! de-salt your tank while your plants are still alive! lol

could those be wounds getting infected by fungus or bacteria from being picked on by the bully molly?

great pics...i LOVE the bad dog picture : )

·
Registered
797 Posts
yeah, i put salt in a tank with no impact whatsoever on the plants or inverts. it was table salt! but seriously, good luck with getting a remedy. i'm trying to diagnose a puffer problem and it's frustrating to not know what i'm treating.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Nice pictures!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can I ask, do you buy plants or bulbs to decorate such beautiful tanks? I want to switch my 55 gal to live plants, but don't know where to start.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the compliments everyone!
I'm flattered. :)

Redpup, You'd be suprised how easy it is once you get going.

The plant in the middle (it's an aponogeton- about 3 wavy leaves but lots of stalks going up to the surface with floating leaves... not sure if it's even noticable in the pics) was one of those plant bulb packets you buy from wal-mart. Bought 3 packs and only one bulb sprouted.

Everything else was purchased from SweetAquatics.com
(Super cheap, the I planted 2 tanks for about $16, including shipping- I told them I wanted a variety and would take smaller quantities of items I ordered if they could throw in some extra species- they blew me away. The only things I have trouble growing apparently are dwarf baby tears, cabomba, and mexican oak leaf plant- but obviously, I can't complain. )

I'm probably overstocked, which seems to be bad for the fish but good for the plants :/ (more fish poop, more CO2) Totally regret getting livebearers....

I don't fertilise or add CO2 in any form.
Just use cool white compact flourescents in the smaller tank and "full spectrum" CFL aquarium bulbs from wal mart in the other one. For a 55G flouro tubes would be perfect, but don't ask me what kind. All I know is cool white. PM angel, or post in the plant forum. Also read Byron's guides ("stickies") in the planted tank area...

Glad I inspired you. Your fish will like it better too. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm so inspired! I'm going to check out SweetAquatics.com for plants for my 55 gal. tank. I am having issues keeping fry alive, so maybe this will help if they have more places to hide. I tried putting them in another tank, but all but a dozen died. So sad!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts