Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 tanks, a 20 gallon community tank with a small Pleco, and a 55 gallon with a Oscar bigger than my hand and a 9" or so Pleco. The plecos do a great job on the algae inside the tank, but I get quite the buildup on the glass bottom of the hoods. So much that I find myself having to scrape them about once a week. Is there anything I can do to get this to stop?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello!
Why don't you use a water filter or raise some fish to clean up your tank?
I both a back filter and powered undergravel filter. But the problem isn't in the water. It's on the bottom of the hood under the lights, which is out of the water, and my plecos can't get to it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello r...

Algae thrives in water with a lot of phosphate and nitrate. Phosphate comes from flaked fish foods and the nitrate from dissolving fish and plant waste material. Feed a little less and try to feed flakes low in phosphate. The nitrate can be removed by removing and replacing the tank water more often. Floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort and Water lettuce will reduce nitrates. I change half the water in my tanks every week and have very little algae in them.

M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts