Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the most effective ways to get rid of algae?

she has tried algaecide, didnt work..

covered the tank with black blanket for three days to minimize light and algae growth...didnt work...

she does water changes every day...doesnt work...

it either stays the same or gets worse...what is the solution?

tank stats are normal...at the time of algae growth the ammonia was very high...

bri

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
none of these seem to be the problem, she does frequent water changes, as i stated...and the tank is NOT near a window...it is a very dark room...light stays on for about 8 hours a day, and the black out method did NOT work.

the algae is not growing on anything, it is making the water green and cloudy. i do not think that buying another fish at this point would be effective since her tank is most likely overstocked as it is. she has 3 platys, 1 swordtail, 2 danios, a tiger barb and 6 baby mollies. oh....and its a 10 gallon tank.

bri

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no...she had live plants the first time she set up a tank but they (like the fish) kept dying so she gave up. she wont do live plants.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i need a cheaper alternative...also joe, its not algae growing on the glass, its a bloom in the water makin it all green and cloudy

bri

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.