Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year, my 30+ year old aquarium sprung a leak, so I replaced it with Fluval Vista 23 gallon setup. The new aquarium has LED lighting, whereas the old aquarium had fluorescent. I’ve noticed that the new aquarium has a much greater tendency to develop algae on the glass. I have to scrape the glass pretty much every night. I assume this must be due to the LED lighting. Very frustrating. What are my options here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the LED light uses a touch-sensitive electronic switch, rather than a mechanical switch, I have reservations about whether that would work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since the LED light uses a touch-sensitive electronic switch, rather than a mechanical switch, I have reservations about whether that would work.
Yeah I can't use a timer on my LED light for the same reasons...it won't turn on.

I've got snails, shrimp & lots of plants to try & combat the algae growth...this way I'm not stressed or concerned about the amount of hours per day the LED is left on.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
how do you limit the duration of the lighting now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I turn it on in the morning and turn it off before I go to bed. That’s 15-16 hours. Too much. I want it on for a few hours in the morning and then again when I’m home from work.

By the way, I’ve determined that my light will work with a timer, so all is good.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I turn it on in the morning and turn it off before I go to bed. That’s 15-16 hours. Too much. I want it on for a few hours in the morning and then again when I’m home from work.

By the way, I’ve determined that my light will work with a timer, so all is good.

I was wondering why it wouldn't. Thanks for feedback. Hope the algae is lessoned.

my .02

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, with an electronic switch, it could have easily gone the other way. I guess they designed the lighting with that in mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts