Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm getting ready to order a critter or two from Petsolutions for my 10g tank and wondering if a mystery snail, even though they say they are also called apple snails, is a good way to go, especially when it comes to algae control, or rather countering a small outbreak? I was going to buy either a few oto catfish or a nerite snail, but they are out of both, and right now I'm trying to find something that won't try to escape the tank, or make a salad out of the live plants I have in there. The other inhabitants I have are a male crowntail betta, just added, a trio of harlequin rasboras and a couple of corys, along with a few baby snails that came from eggs from the nerites that inhabit my 20s, the other critters I'm probably going to get is a few more rasboras, or some schooling fish like neon tetras or zebra danios. Anyway, I'm just trying to get advise on snails, that is all.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow, you have a lot of fish for such a small tank!

Don't get Otos, please. They need a much larger tank (30 gal. minimum) to sustain themselves. If possible, try to level out your ecosystem with live plants. They'll be in competition with the algae for nutrients and help quite a bit. I'm going to assume your tank doesn't have full spectrum lighting, so try some Hornwort. That always seems to do relatively well with regular incandescent lighting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts