Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've had a 10 gal brackish set up for a few months now. I've been having a nasty algae issue for a few months. I've taken everything outta the tank. I've tried everything... more flow, less light, low grade and high grade phosphate remover and changing out the sand completely... it keeps comming back. I test my water and have has 2 LFS test it... they said everything is where it should be... any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
well first let me admit that i am stabbing in the dark as i have not done a brakish tank before..... what are your inhabitants? could an addition assist here? a crab perhaps to eat it?
also what type of filtration are you running? is it possible to add a product i was reading about called Chemi-pure? this stuff works great in nano's so may do well for you look it up and see....

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
What type of lighting (if any) do you have on the tank (Kelvin rating of the bulbs) and how many hours a day do you have the lighting on? I assume since this is a brackish tank you have no plants?
Any chance you know what type of algae? Brown diatoms, green spot, hair algae, etc.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you don't already have plants,Vallisneria and Jave moss are both doable for brackish water,as well as java fern and anubias if the salinity is closer to freshwater than saltwater.These could help use nutrients instead of algae.Also Nerite snails are good algae eaters.By less light,do you mean duration or intensity?Using a lower kelvin rating bulb might help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inhabitants- Nothing... i pulled everything out.

Plants- Had anubias and that didn't do to well

SG- 1.015

Filtration- Custom built sump with fluval lab series phostphate remover and activated carbon 200gph

Light- Current USA Nova Extream. Removed 1 bulb running around 6 hours a day

this is what this stuff looks like

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
If your saline level is above 1 you will have trouble with plants, I can understand that. Algae occurs because of light and nutrients, and when there are no plants, there is nothing to use the nutrients but algae.

That looks like what I've seen in marine tanks. As I have very little knowledge on brackish tanks, I'm thinking a post in the saltwater section might help. Probably under Saltwater Aquariums to start off.

Good luck.

Byron.

P.S. Just noticed this post was in Saltwater already. Kim linked it to me and I hadn't noticed. I still think that is where help lies though.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Agree, as I've seen cyano in marine tanks. One of the S/W guys will come along and they will know how to help w/ the best advice about what to do in this situation.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
have you tried a complete blackout of the tank since nothing else is in it? tape black trash bags around it and keep the lights off.

what kind of filtration? it may not be your source water but the filter or food you are/were adding.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
blackouts slow the growth but will not kill or remove it. I've been RO water long enough that tap water reminants should have been removed. I may try the Erythromycin method

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The answer is nutrient buildup. Excess nutrients leading to algae outbreaks. We need to identify if you want to treat this tank as a marine or a freshwater system. Either will work. But you are currently using freshwater equipment and running a marine salinity level. This makes both types of equipment function below optimal levels at exporting nutrients from the tank.

So, why the 1.015 salinity? What live stock do you intend to keep?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was keeping figure 8 puffers but i've given them away. I intend to go full salt but want to get rid of this stuff before I risk a loss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts