Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am starting to get an Algae problem. I have two maybe three types of Algae. I have black brush algea on my Anbuias nana and coffeefolia (sp?) and alternanthera reineckii. There are a couple of leaves on the alternanthera that have very bright green algae, not many though. I also have blue/green algae on my tank glass at the substrate line and below.

Tank Specs:
29G with 65w CFL 6700K Coralife Bulb (light is on 14 hours daily)
6 Danios
4 Praecox Rainbows
2 Bolovian Rams
2 Otos
12+ Ghost Shrimp
0 Ammonia and Nitrites
0-5 Nitrates

I dose Flourish twice a week a half cap full or so and Flourish Excel every other day the dosage according to the directions. Both are given in the morning when I turn the light on.

I am planning on dipping in Excel dip tonight, 10p water to 10p Excel on the affected plants.

What else I can do to try and keep the Algae off of the plants?

·
Registered
238 Posts
How are your plants growing? If your plant growth is good and you don't have a ton of algae I would recommend getting a few (three was enough for my 29 gallon) algae-eating shrimp. If plant growth is poor I would work on fixing that first, and then dealing with the algae.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jones57742 said:
tiger:

The following thread may be of some help:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2653&highlight=

Please post any questions after you have reviewed the thread.

TR
I took a look and I don't think I have hair algae, I know that I have Black Brush Algae, it's black and only on the plants and won't rub off. The green "fuzz" on a few of the Alternanthera leaves rubs off the black doesn't. The Blue/Green stuff on the tank by the substrate rubs off easily.

I have also noticed tonight red spots on my driftwood, and now greenish areas.

This really started to take off once I started feeding bloodworms for my Rams about 3 weeks ago. I am not sure what to test for to determine if there is excess nutrients in the water or how to get rid of them. I am also unsure how to feed bloodworms without making a huge mess in the tank in the process (they are frozen).

I think that I am going to start dosing Excel daily and Flourish three times a week using the correct dosages for my water volume.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scottysgirl said:
How are your plants growing? If your plant growth is good and you don't have a ton of algae I would recommend getting a few (three was enough for my 29 gallon) algae-eating shrimp. If plant growth is poor I would work on fixing that first, and then dealing with the algae.
My plants grow very well, so that's not a problem.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'd cut back the light to 10 hours a day. Put it on a timer to make it consistent. Start it an hour later, end an hour earlier, and take two hours out in the middle. Won't solve the problem, but it ought to help.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well I'm not sure about the algae but I feed frozen bloodworms to my tank every day so I can help ya out with that. I take a small jar (used only for this purpose) and dip some tankwater into it. I then thaw the cube of bloodworms in this water and then use a pipette (also only for bloodworm feeding) to feed the fish. It allows them to get almost all of them before they even reach the bottom of the tank since you are controlling how fast they are released into the water and should help cut down any problems caused by overfeeding.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FDStation152 said:
Well I'm not sure about the algae but I feed frozen bloodworms to my tank every day so I can help ya out with that. I take a small jar (used only for this purpose) and dip some tankwater into it. I then thaw the cube of bloodworms in this water and then use a pipette (also only for bloodworm feeding) to feed the fish. It allows them to get almost all of them before they even reach the bottom of the tank since you are controlling how fast they are released into the water and should help cut down any problems caused by overfeeding.
That is great info. Any idea where I can get a pipette though?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
It seems like your plants might be growing well enough now that you need to start dosing some more ferts to keep the tank balanced. K, Ca, Mg and maybe No3 and PO4. this isnormally the cause of algae to start to get a grip and once it is balanced again it should deminish and go away. Don't start too high but I would recommend starting to dose most if not all of them to balance the tank back out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fish_4_all said:
It seems like your plants might be growing well enough now that you need to start dosing some more ferts to keep the tank balanced. K, Ca, Mg and maybe No3 and PO4. this isnormally the cause of algae to start to get a grip and once it is balanced again it should deminish and go away. Don't start too high but I would recommend starting to dose most if not all of them to balance the tank back out.
Would dosing Flourish work or should I get something else? Are there tests that I should get to determine where my levels are?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
You have the test kits you need, NO3 and Po4 is all you test for most of the time. Flourish has a complete line of other ferts but that is a good idea. Try upping your dosage to 5 times a week or every day and see if it makes a difference. If not, you may have to get the other ferts. There are sources to get them dry if you are going to focus on plants and need to do a lot of dosing.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
to prevent excess nutrients for the algae to survive, cut down the lighting and feed pellet food, pellet food if fed correctly give off the least waste and the lower lighting will starve the algae, if you have a CO2 unit you might want to cut that down too

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
That may work, I don't know. I dose my tanks with everything and there is an excess of everything in my tanks and I only get algae when I don't dose the way I should.

To give you an idea, I dose the following
30ppm NO3 weekly, dosed 10ppm 3x a week
2.7-3.0ppm PO4 weekly, dosed .88ppm 3x a week
0.87-1.0ppm iron weekly, .29ppm dosed on opposite days of the above
Calcium once a week to 12ppm, after water change
Magnesium once a week to 3ppm, after water change

Never a shortage and the levels are well within target ranges that are safe for the fish. I don't think you need to dose those levels but some of the long time fish keepers I have talked to say that most algae problems are caused by something bottoming out along with an access of something else. As long as there is a balance, then you don't have the problems with algae. An excess once something else bottoms out can be as little as .25ppm NO3 if there is not enough PO4 or Iron to balance it so it doesn't take much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
musho3210 said:
to prevent excess nutrients for the algae to survive, cut down the lighting and feed pellet food, pellet food if fed correctly give off the least waste and the lower lighting will starve the algae, if you have a CO2 unit you might want to cut that down too
I think overfeeding is part of my problem, I am feeding about half what I was and have tried FDs bloodworm feeding method tonight. So far so good. I am going to get some Cichlid pellets and start feeding that regularly, and do bloodworms once a week or so.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fish_4_all said:
That may work, I don't know. I dose my tanks with everything and there is an excess of everything in my tanks and I only get algae when I don't dose the way I should.

To give you an idea, I dose the following
30ppm NO3 weekly, dosed 10ppm 3x a week
2.7-3.0ppm PO4 weekly, dosed .88ppm 3x a week
0.87-1.0ppm iron weekly, .29ppm dosed on opposite days of the above
Calcium once a week to 12ppm, after water change
Magnesium once a week to 3ppm, after water change

Never a shortage and the levels are well within target ranges that are safe for the fish. I don't think you need to dose those levels but some of the long time fish keepers I have talked to say that most algae problems are caused by something bottoming out along with an access of something else. As long as there is a balance, then you don't have the problems with algae. An excess once something else bottoms out can be as little as .25ppm NO3 if there is not enough PO4 or Iron to balance it so it doesn't take much.
I will increase my flourish dosing to daily and see what happens, I also have liquid cheated iron. Should I start adding that too? I figured that flourish had everything I need. How do I test for PO4?

·
Registered
160 Posts
14 hours a day!!!!!!!!!! no wonder you have algae- i am suprised your tank isnt over flwing with gunk!
Seriously back the light off to somethin aroung 4 hours, that will give teh pllants enought energy to survive, but will be too low for algae- whcich will die off and dissovled into the water!
once you have it under control build the light levels up, but never passed 10 ever!
What region on earth has that much direct sunshine- there are so many poor books out there giving poor advice on lighting conditions it is unbelieveable.
ok the tropical rivers near the equator have strong light, but they have around 10,000 gallons of clean (ish)water passing through any one point every second- you have a volume of water that remains unchanged for a week- so you have to be careful how you treat it, essentially it is a time bomb ready to go off.
good luck hope it works out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts