Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to upgrade my air pump for my air stone to something quieter........i've had this whisper pump for almost 3 years now with no problems.......it says it is for up to 20 galllons but it pumps out a LOT of bubbles.......so should i maybe get one a little smaller, maybe one for up to 10 gallons? and which one would be quietest? I was looking at the newly designed whispers and the AquaClears, both say that they are "almost silent"...........

Thanks.......
Robb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
you dont really need air pumps... the bubbles are only for display... as long as there is water movement at surface from filter, oxygen will automatically be absorbed...

There isnt really any quiet air pumps. they work on rapid vibrations that pump out air... try keeping some folded cloth or sponge underneath, so vibrations get absorbed. keep them above the water line... this helps a little with back pressure... also replace any clogged air stone...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
I have found the Rena air pumps to be very quiet from just a few feet away. To be that quiet they need to be on a solid surface, not a sound board. The cover or hood on most tanks make a pretty good sound board so put it on a wooden shelf or something similar.
As far as size or model, most air pumps will have 2 ratings on them, one is aquarium size which is almost meaningless, the other is how many typical air stones it can supply at what depth. If you know where you would place the air in your aquarium the second rating can help you judge the right one for your needs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
My fish seem to like the air pump. Probably not as much as me, but I turned it on and they just stared at it in awe for a few moments and then started swimming through it. Thats just my observation though. I've heard tons of people saying the fish don't like them... But mine do :) ... Err I think... They didn't tell me, but you could tell it was the most excitement they have had in a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
saying that air pumps/bubbles only for decor is so amature.

Are Air Pumps Necessary?

Water with low oxygen content is more common and dangerous to aquarium inhabitants than often realized. Fortunately, the use of air pumps and air stones are an easy and effective way to replenish and maintain healthy oxygen levels.

A constant supply of fresh oxygen allows efficient biological filtration to take place without depleting oxygen fish need to breathe. Aeration devices also promote proper gas exchange and reduce buildup of harmful gasses such as carbon dioxide. They also maintain a stable pH by counteracting the pH-lowering effects of carbon dioxide.

In planted tanks use air pumps at night to provide oxygen to your plants and keep it off during the day so that Co2 does not escape and in turn absorbed by your plants that give off oxygen.

If you have 20 gallon tank get air pump for 10 gallons.
Whisper Air Pumps are the best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unrulyevil said:
If you have 20 gallon tank get air pump for 10 gallons.
Whisper Air Pumps are the best
right now im using a 20g air pump in my 46g and it makes a LOT of bubbles..........should i get something smaller.......?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
TrashmanNYC said:
Unrulyevil said:
If you have 20 gallon tank get air pump for 10 gallons.
Whisper Air Pumps are the best
right now im using a 20g air pump in my 46g and it makes a LOT of bubbles..........should i get something smaller.......?
No thats probably good. I don't see why you would want to, theres really no need to go out and purchase another one. Do you not have a valve to control the air flow? I have a 20 in my 28 gallon (lol not a huge difference) but yeah I was going to buy a 40 :shock: Because I was like... Well I might as well go big or go home. Good thing I decided against it. It makes so much bubbles I'm afraid to turn it on full blast. Lol it might blow the freaking fish out of the water. Well I don't know that that is possible, but I don't want to try :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Little-Fizz said:
TrashmanNYC said:
Unrulyevil said:
If you have 20 gallon tank get air pump for 10 gallons.
Whisper Air Pumps are the best
right now im using a 20g air pump in my 46g and it makes a LOT of bubbles..........should i get something smaller.......?
No thats probably good. I don't see why you would want to, theres really no need to go out and purchase another one. Do you not have a valve to control the air flow? I have a 20 in my 28 gallon (lol not a huge difference) but yeah I was going to buy a 40 :shock: Because I was like... Well I might as well go big or go home. Good thing I decided against it. It makes so much bubbles I'm afraid to turn it on full blast. Lol it might blow the freaking fish out of the water. Well I don't know that that is possible, but I don't want to try :wink:
its an older model, it doesnt have a valve to control the air flow.........plus i was hoping to find something a little quieter........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I have a whisper 40, the blue dome thing. I have to say I'm not too impressed. its not very quiet at all, and it seams underpowered for 2 - 3 inch air stones in my 36. I think the unique shape is just a marketing tactic so people will buy their cheep noisy pumps. my $0.02

But then again I don't know of any quiet air pumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
My airpump seems to vibrate causing it to become a little noisy so I placed a rag under it. Other than that, I have not seen any airpump that seems very quiet. I've tested every pump my local fish stores have.:shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
FuzzAz said:
I have a whisper 40, the blue dome thing. I have to say I'm not too impressed. its not very quiet at all, and it seams underpowered for 2 - 3 inch air stones in my 36. I think the unique shape is just a marketing tactic so people will buy their cheep noisy pumps. my $0.02

But then again I don't know of any quiet air pumps.
Really? I have a whisper 20 and I find it doesn't make a lot of noise at all! But I could be wrong, I'll go check.... Ok so it does make noise.. I guess I never noticed before? The water coming from the filter is louder then the air pump. If you set the valve in the middle is doesn't make so much noise. I think it's all the vibrations that make the noise, but I'll try what lupin said and put a cloth under it :thumbsup:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top