Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ha yeah very true!
nearing a week old now and i can barely tell they're any bigger ha. i've not lost one yet that i know of ha. yaya!

and i have 3 other clutches now 0-0 ha.

anyone in Tennessee want a free snail or two? ha

·
Registered
536 Posts
good luck with them :D the saying shouldnt be breed like rabbits it should be changed to breed like snails :bluelaugh: umm i think im the only one thats finding that one funny :oops:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
haha yeah true... i've moved the male out of the tank now ha
he's in my guppy 10 gal tank now ha

so i've got like 30-40 babies hatched and 3 clutches now ha
1 clutch is only 5 days old and is about to hatch!!! I cant believe the luck i'm having seeing as the shortest normal is 8 days ha.

The other 2 are 4 days old and 2 days.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Shame you're not in the UK. I'd love to take a few off your hands. :p

What age will they be when you start to see their colours developing? What colour are the parents and will they be the same or can't you tell?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They were born with their colors, they seem to all be gold with little black dots going along the middle of their shells, some have less/more black.

The daddy is a black mystery snail and the mommy one of the common gold snails (like the apple just the size of the mystery) both parents are about an inch long. You can see pics of them in the pic gallery forum under my 55 gallon tank.

O AND I JUST HATCHED OUT A NEW CLUTCH!!!
they seemed ready so i gentle broke them out in water and they are now running around a breeding net in my 55 gallon ha, that batch was only 5-6 days old. And my 4 day old looks to be ready to be hatched out tomorrow 0-0 i guess i'm good at this hahaha. And my 2 day old clutch is looking promising to be ready in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
haha yeah i guess i am, they are so easy to care for thankfully and they have a huge 40 gallon aquarium being made ready for them now at my LFS (my best friend runs the fish area ha) so we're going to put them all in there when they get 1/2 inch and i make 75 cents for each one they sell :]

so i think i can actually make a profit off this haha.
I have like 30-40 weeks old babies. (these are 5 x the size of the new babies)
And now 30-40 hour old babies.

·
Registered
536 Posts
aww sweet my fry are difficult sometimes and i have huge numbers of those snails that stay on your plant etc, i know they are bad for your tank but i dont like the idea of killing them. good luck :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
yea they breed like crazy and as i have a breeding net for some fry (i dont have an extra tank to put them in) they lay there eggs behind my heater and i can't get to them. but my fish are moving to a bigger tank soon (i just got a new one so it has to be cycled) and they fry will have my 8 gallon, so the breeding net is going meaning i can get rid of the eggs :p lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
aww sweet. yea i decided i had to move my fish to a bigger tank as 1 i could get more fish :D and 2. it would be easier to clean than my 8 gallon lol. how are the babies doing?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ooo yeah true.

All babies are great, the first clutch (bout 2 weeks old now) are still tiny but like 5-6 times the original size, and the other 2 clutches (hatched on the same day) are both still very tiny, 1 resides with the older one and the other in a breeders net in the 55 gallon tank.

O and I still have another egg clutch attached to the 55 gallon wall, I decided to leave it there, I give it 2 more days.

I took the dad out and put him with the guppies, they needed a cleaner and the snails needed to stop mating ha.

·
Registered
536 Posts
aww thats so cute. you could open up a daycare center lol. what do you think you are going to do with them?hehe and imagine if you named them all lol you would run out of names :D
I would love an apple or mystery snail but my lfs doesnt stock them
good luck once again :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm selling them all to the LFS except 4-5 or more that I'll pick out to keep.

They seem to all be gold with black spots, the antennas of older ones are like gold-black-gold-black, it looks so cool!

I got my snails at Walmart when their shipment actually looked good, now the snails there are all.... horrible...

·
Registered
536 Posts
aww they are so cute and small :mrgreen: some are even floating on the top like some of my snails do when they eat the water :shock: ( i really dont know what they do hehe) have fun raising them lol :D

oh and wow lucky them lol a whole 10g for themselves lol :D

21 - 40 of 61 Posts