Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I’m new to this group and had a concern in my tank. I saw a few discussions here about this but didn’t really get an answer out of them and my situation was different than the others I’ve seen.
So to start I have a 20 gal freshwater tank with rock and wood and live plants. I have a female Dalmatian molly (who had babies that are in a breeder tank so they don’t get eaten) 2 fancy male guppies, 7 tetras and some snails and shrimps. They were all added at about the same time, some being a week apart.
Recently I noticed the female molly chasing the male guppies. She doesn’t seem to be nipping at them, but definitely charges them if she seems them in the open area of the tank.
This seems to have only started happening after she had the babies, because I’m like 95% sure everything was fine before that, so I was thinking it’s a protective thing but I was just curious to see what others think/know about this.
Thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't worry! This happens to me too, this is how fisj get excersize. If their is no fin nipping the fish will chase the other fish like a game of tag. Somthimes my mollyies of platies will chase my guppies and neon tetras but they never fin nip. Other times the other fish will chase the mollies of platies. If their is only 1 molly in the tank you need to get more, they prefer to be with their own kind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry! This happens to me too, this is how fisj get excersize. If their is no fin nipping the fish will chase the other fish like a game of tag. Somthimes my mollyies of platies will chase my guppies and neon tetras but they never fin nip. Other times the other fish will chase the mollies of platies. If their is only 1 molly in the tank you need to get more, they prefer to be with their own kind.
Thank you for your help! Do you think just like 1 or 2 more is good? And does it matter if I get a males or females?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you for your help! Do you think just like 1 or 2 more is good? And does it matter if I get a males or females?
Only get females if you don't want any more babies, if you have enough space for more babies get another male otherwise only get females. This might solve the problem of it chasing the otehr fish around, also if there is any fin nipping remove her immidiatly. Somtimes, you just happen to get a naturally aggresive fish. I reccomend gettting more female Mollies they like to school occasionally I reccomend at least having 3 but I always keep then in groups of 4-5 however its your decision but I reccomend getting 3 more FEMALE molllies to add to your tank. It might make her feel happier and not want to cahse other fish. Don't worry if she still chaes other fish this is jsut playful behaviour unless there is fin nipping. If fin nipping occurs or you hame more problems/ questions feel free to reply to this message, i will respond, or post another seperate question so me or other fishkeepers can help! Hope this clarifies what would be best for your fish!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts