Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this whole fish thing. At first it seemed that I was doing fantastic, now, not so much. We got the tank from my uncle who just didn't have room for it anymore, and my daughter's fish obsession had just started, so other than it's 20+ gallons, I don't know much more about it. There is a light and there is a filter, both work.

With that said, here's my issue. I have 2 balloon mollies, one had swim bladder and I removed her and put her in her own tank, after 4 days she was better, and after 7 days I put her back in the large tank. While she was gone the other molly started acting weird, she would hide in the decorations, and it looked like she was sitting on her butt. She would come out to eat and then go right back to hiding. When I put the 1st molly back in after the swim bladder was cured, the 2nd molly started acting aggressive, nipping and chasing her around. I separated the aggressive one for 2 days and now it's like they are enemies. They each stay at opposite sides of the tank, like there is an imaginary line drawn through the middle, and the mean one still hides....a lot. What is going on!?!?! I've had both of these fish since April with no problems ...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mollies have weird personalities, they're not your average schooling fish. I don't think Mollies ever school much, so I usually recommend either 1 Molly or 4. If there's only 2 they'll usually pick on each other to death, but it is weird that they're both hiding. What is the tank's temp.? Mollies are usually very lively, and usually only calm when stressed by something. My description of Mollies is mindless fish with big appetites, but they add activity to the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last night before I went to bed the temp was 76F right now it's about 78F. Which has pretty much been the average since April. I could be wrong, and I'll have to take more water in to make sure but I'm pretty sure the ph level was a 7.5 and the dh was something like 18 or 20... Next time I won't take my girls with me so I can pay closer attention to what they are telling me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.