Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of Africans could I breed in a 20 long besides brichardi or multies? I would just get a colony or pair of one species to breed.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I'll pass this along to a couple of people for you, making sure that they see it. As I said before, I can't help with stocking of African cichlids.

Reactions: Chesh

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
Lamprologus' brevis in a pair of male and female.
Neolamprologus leleupi - again a pair
Altolamprologus calvus - only a pair with no other fish.
Pelvichromis pulcher - male and female pair

All of these apart from the Calvus can be housed with an upside catfish as a bottom dweller and interesting fish for the tank.

You could also consider going South American and get a pair of Apistogramma.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How would you suggest obtaining a calvus pair? Also, can I do a breeding colony of peacocks in a 40 breeder?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
Calvus almost always are sold as small juveniles, you can grow them up enough to be able to sex them and then if possible rehouse them once you have a pair. Either that or you can order online from various very reputable sources as a sexed pair.

You can do a breeding group of peacocks in a 40g breeder tank, 1 male to several females, peacocks are fairly easy to sex as males are the only ones who color up, females remain a brownish color.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How easy are they to breed I've heard they will keep breeding as long as females are present
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
If there is a good ratio of 1 male to females and there isnt too much aggression from the male towards the females then yes. There are also other factors, the tank needs to be to their liking and setup so the females can escape the male aggression when he is in breeding mode.

If a female is ready to breed she will.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You can always put Julidochromis transcriptus in a 20 gallon. They are very hardy and attractive especially the Gombi variety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts