Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this fish has been rescued a few weeks ago from a neglected tank. when we moved him we made a mistake with the water temp and he experinced a sudden change of around 2 degrees C in a few min. since then he became very pale and started to lose weight. He is active eatign and swimming. He is in a 100L tank by himself with a filter, temp is 27 and theres aretation. Water P are 0,0,10.
Ive already tried treatment with Levamisole and praziquantel for parasies.
What do you think this could be and what do you reccomend? btw can you identify the fih? i just know hes an african ciclid and im pretty sure his a peacock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1. is it supposed to be a white breed of cichlid? Also, cichlids like to be kept with other fcichlids I rccomend put at least 2-3 more in your tank I once had a glofish that became like this because it was alone but once I got a few more for the tank and it was no longer lethargic. Perhaps it is the same problem with your cichilid? I own 3 cichlids in a 125 gallon and they are always swimming together i might upgrade there tank to a 150 once they become adult. I reccomend getting a 150 gallon tank and getting sveral more but it's your decsion, I know some breeds of cichlids like to be alone. If yours likes to be alone it's probably sick hope this helps! One last thing, if it is a peacock cichilid it either incredibly lonely OR really sick. If he begins to devlop a black stipe he has an intestinal problem. My fist cichlid had this problem, there is no cure for this it is a bacteria that gets in it's imune system and can damage it. It will likely die if it begins to develop a black stripe. The stripe color can also vary although its usually black, it can be the following colors: White, Grey, Yellow, Pink, Magenta, silver, and orange. Hope this solves the problem!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, this fish has been rescued a few weeks ago from a neglected tank. when we moved him we made a mistake with the water temp and he experinced a sudden change of around 2 degrees C in a few min. since then he became very pale and started to lose weight. He is active eatign and swimming. He is in a 100L tank by himself with a filter, temp is 27 and theres aretation. Water P are 0,0,10.
Ive already tried treatment with Levamisole and praziquantel for parasies.
What do you think this could be and what do you reccomend? btw can you identify the fih? i just know hes an african ciclid and im pretty sure his a peacock.

I am guessing there’s more going on here than the fact that there was a 2 degree difference. This would not have caused all the issues you are listing. If the the previous tank and fish were neglected, you have inherited a fish and all the problems that were in that tank.
what are you feeding? It would be advisable to feed with live food to see if this will up the immune system. You have treated for parasites, which is what I would have suggested.

The other big thing I am seeing is that the water in the tank is being churned way too much from your filter/aerator. This fiish seems to be battling the current so to speak. I would lessen this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts