Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had a 55 gallon tank and a 30 gallon tank for around 2 years now. In the 30 gallon I have 12 African Cichlids, and a single tiny one on its own in a breeding tank.

In the 55 gallon one i have 6 Cichlids, 5 males and one female. I also have a catfish. (Yes i understand that I have way to many males and not enough females)

I bought the fish and the tank from an auction and it had more fish to start off with. The smaller 30 gallon tank had the babies from the bigger fish I'm pretty sure.

When I brought the fish over to my house and set up the tank and filter, one of the fish got sick and died, following this the fish looked very aggressive and started attacking each other. They killed each other off and that's how I ended up with that many males and that many females.

I think that the catfish is a Synodontis Petricola. (I'm not sure though.)

I want to buy other cichlids (6 other females most likely) to try to reduce aggression but I don't know if they might kill my current fish, or my current fish would kill them. I also don't know exactly what type of African cichlid my fish are.

I attached photos of the fish in the 55 gallon tank. There are 6 total Cichlids and 7 total fish. (The one in the cage is in there because it kept getting attacked and its tail was basically gone, I put it in there to let it heal and when I took it back out it tried to attack all of the other fish in the tank.)

The blue-spotted Cichlid is the female and it is bigger than all of the other males.

(I am calling the fish male and female because to my knowledge the fish with the egg spots are the males and the ones without are female.)

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your blue spotted fish is a Jack Dempsey a SA fish, the cat is a featherfin, you have 2 yellow labs and a red zebra, the one in the cage is a demonsi, it is very mean! I would suggest rehoming all the fish and start over. If you like some of the fish keep the yellow labs, the red zebra and the cat and get rid of the rest. You could add more later. If you chose to keep all the group you have, I think you'll end up hating aquariums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't want to sell the fish I have though. Should I just put them in a separate tank and get more fish? If so what type of fish for each tank? I have another 55 gallon that I'm not using atm, all I would have to buy is a filter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want to split them put the JD and the demasoni in 1 of the 55's and the other 3 cichlids and the catfish in the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts