Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, who is everyone?

I am posting this thread as a beginner who set up a 20gal (24 long, 12 wide, 16 tall) two weeks ago, I'm wandering if anyone has some advise on fish stocking, aquatic plant care, or anything else you think I should watch out for or change. I do a lot of my own research, but I'm curious if I missing anything.
I have a planted tank, with a gravel sub-straight, I have quill wart and micro sword grass. The ammonia cycle so far has seems pretty stable, after the second week I had some white algae, but that has dissipated. I have added 6 platys with 2 males and 4 females. I added some root taps for the micro sword grass, I used some safe start plus from tetra to help. The platys are active, healthy looking, I feed them in the morning and at night. I am looking to add 4 corydoras catfish, 2 more platys, and a paradise gourami in three weeks. By the end I hope to have a total 8 platys, 4 corydoras and 1 paradise gourami, and some java ferns. Is this to many fish? could I add more? and how am I doing in general?

I apologize for the length of this post, Thank you for taking the time to look this over and I look forward to reading your replies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Paradise gouramis should be in a minimum of 30 gallons due to their semi-aggressive nature, I would stick to the 6 platy's and do 5 corydoras. Cory's do best in groups of 5 or more, the less you have the less you will see of them. Great job with the two males and 4 females, it's always best to keep two females for every male, I would not add any more becuase they do reach about 3-3.5" each.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I agree with kaysparf. Nix the gourami and stick to just 6 platies and 5 cories. The platies will have babies so got to leave a bit of room for that. But don't add anymore fish until your tank is cycled. Can you tell us what the water parameters are(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts