Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls i am super new to the forum and i have actually never joined one before. I'm super stoked to make my first thread!! I would really appreciate any feedback from everyone. I'm going to start a 5.5 gallon Crystal red shrimp planted tank. I feel like i have a pretty good handle on starting it up. Here is a list of pretty much all of the supplies i am going to be using. To cycle i am going to heavily plant as well as introduce beneficial bacteria. I'm also going to upload a link to my youtube video so you can take a look for yourself at my setup. I plan on documenting the whole process. That way people can learn from any unforeseen ... "situations" lets say :cool:

My nano shrimp tank setup

5.5 Gallon Aquarium
Fluval Aquaclear 20 Hang on the back HOB Filter (not going to using carbon)
National Geographic Filter foam(to prevent accidental suckups)
Fluval Shrimp and plant substrate stratum (buffer for lower PH)
Fluval CO2 20
Fluval Shrimp granules
Check valves
Fluval Bubble Counter
Fluval Ceramic diffuser
SunGrow Mineral rocks
Heat Sink Programmed mini heater 60 watts
CFL bulb 60 watt equivalent
Ferts: Trace elements and SeaChem Flourish

So i guess my main questions are... What am i missing?? And how would you guys recommend dosing ferts i.e. schedule and amounts. Where would you guys recommend buying CRS or is there anyone on here who breeds them?

I really would like this to be a kindof open discussion with a lot of ideas.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My advice is to make sure the tank is fully cycled and stable before adding the shrimp. I have found if the water quality goes bad shrimp suffer.

On filters I like to run sponge filters, the sponge will collect food, algae and other stuff the shrimp will eat. The HOB could suck up the shrimp so you need to cover the intake with some thing that the shrimp can't fit thru.

Then just sit back and wait. I'm watching my two tanks of shrimp enjoy life and multiple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, yeah i have a sponge over the end of the filter. I will for sure wait to make sure the tank is cycled and stable. Thanks!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a 20L shrimp tank and just use a 125gal rated sponge filter. As stated above, the shrimp especially the babies use it as a feeding station. To keep the fine gravel clean, I use a 1/8" round length of tubing and have netting over the end so the shrimp don't get sucked up. I use an 18oz cup and pour water from the tank back in just high enough to get the partical waste in the water column mid-range then siphon. For shrimp I always stick with java moss duckweed and water sprite. I am just uneasy about using ferts as the shrimp are so sensitive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh snap, i didn't even think about ferts being a potential issue. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if anyone else has any wisdom on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, is putting a sponge on the end of a hob filter kinda the same as a sponge filter? Seems like the same concept.

·
Registered
679 Posts
As for ferts, ask the plant people in their area they know for sure.

As for the sponge filter the answer to your question is kind of. Sponges work best when allowed to become bacteria bee hives. They break down everything and thus attract a lot of things the shrimp like to eat. They also help keep levels at a point where the plants can thrive. Mounting a sponge on you HOB intake will super filter partical out and likely hold a good lot of bacteria, but will the water be there long enough for the full effect?? No, it certainly will not. One other issue, I have heard that HOB filters with sponges on the intake die early due to the drag on water flow. Never tested it but it sounds reasonable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts