Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a brand new 10 gallon tank online so I could move my two Endler Guppies and six Pygmy Cory out of their 3 gallon home.
On waiting for the tank to arrive my fish developed SBD which I treated with blanched peas, 20% water changes daily and even fasting them for 48 hours. Sadly though I lost the Endlers and three of the Pygmy and I already know that their small living conditions would've played a major part in them getting ill.
Now I am left with just three Pygmy Cory, which (I hope) have overcome the SBD, and the 10 gallon tank should be arriving in just a few days.

Now I am left wondering if I should cycle the new tank when it arrives for three days then add the three Pygmy to help with the cycling or should I cycle the tank empty for three weeks then add the Pygmy?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I recently ordered a brand new 10 gallon tank online so I could move my two Endler Guppies and six Pygmy Cory out of their 3 gallon home.
On waiting for the tank to arrive my fish developed SBD which I treated with blanched peas, 20% water changes daily and even fasting them for 48 hours. Sadly though I lost the Endlers and three of the Pygmy and I already know that their small living conditions would've played a major part in them getting ill.
Now I am left with just three Pygmy Cory, which (I hope) have overcome the SBD, and the 10 gallon tank should be arriving in just a few days.

Now I am left wondering if I should cycle the new tank when it arrives for three days then add the three Pygmy to help with the cycling or should I cycle the tank empty for three weeks then add the Pygmy?
You might check out the methods in the link on my signature.

and yes a tank should be ready to receive new fish with no spikes. So you must set it up correctly for that to happen. Most "cycle" first, I just use live plants to prevent the spikes.

my .02

1 - 2 of 2 Posts