Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm a relatively new aquarium owner. I bought the 29g tall Topfin stater kit from Petsmart a few weeks ago. I currently have a 10 gallon and over the past 7 weeks and have stocked it to have experience before I go all out on the 29g. I started cycling the 29g with some bacteria in a bottle and am still going to wait about 2 weeks until any of my fish go into it. I know this could be considered overstocked for a 10g but these fish are all a few weeks old, small, and I've had no problems with caring for them so far (regular water changes and water tests), and will soon be in my 29g

Currently the 10g has
- 1 dwarf gourami
- 2 male cherry barbs
- 4 female cherry barbs
- 4 albino corry cats
- 1 rubber lipped pleco
not all added at the same time*

Tank
-topfin 30 filter
-kit heater
-air stone disk
-driftwood sticks (soaked 1 week, boiled, scrubbed) made to look like a forest/hiding spaces
-Mixure of store bought aquarium rocks and creek rocks(soaked, boiled, scrubbed) that range in size
-petsmart and petco plants/ground cover
-fine store-bought gravel substrate
-a couple store-ornaments
Everything takes up about 1/5 of the total volume

What I would like to know is how many more fish I could stock after I introduce the current roster.

I would like to add 1 rubber lipped pleco, 5 cherry barbs (3 male, 2 female,)(overall 5 males and 6 females) and a couple of snails. Any advice about my choices and/or recommendations on better suited fish? Maybe shrimp would be a better choice than snails? I would like to add some java moss.

I love all gouramis and wanted to make one my centerpiece fish. I love my dwarf but would like to get a bigger species since he would look so small in the 29g. Ive read everything and there are a bunch of conflicting reports about keeping gouramis of the same and different species. Maybe 2 female dwarfs with the male? I would love to have a opaline and the tank is heavily planted so the dwarf and opaline could have territories of there own.

Id appreciate all criticism and advice. All is well so far in the 10g and don't want the addition of new fish in the 29g to cause problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some pics before I started cycling and added the equipment. there is a hiding cave in the left corner and the large plant (top left) was being held up by the lid but it is now free flowing adding more cover. there is lava rock under the mounds to hold the substrate and other rock into place.
potato quality, sorry.....

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like you are taking your time ad asking questions-That puts you totally ahead in the game. You are correct in wanting more cherry barbs. Great little fish with micro-bio-load. I'd add 1-2 more corys. 1 Rubber Nose Pleco is enough. The species doesn't get that big but is a tad large for the tank. You will have to feed it as flake food will not do. Blanched peas, green beans and zucchini work well. The 1 dwarf gourami is about all the gourami you can stuff in there. Also know that the gourami limits other possible tank mates. If you want additional fish you could go with 2-3 platys or small tetras like Lemons. As for gourami aggression, I have never found it to be the case. Keep in mind male gouramis will be territorial so anything lookig like them will be attacked. If you can part with the dwarf gourami you could go with a pair of pigmy gouramis and still open up more fish choices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts