Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 30 gallon aquarium with two platies and three guppies along with a nerite snail in it.
I also have a 10 gallon with 2 cory cats and 7 gold zebra danios. My goal is to combine these into the 30. Will the 7 danios at one time give too much of an amonia spike? Should I do them and wait a week to add the cats? I did lose another platy and a cat in the 30 for unexplained reasons. The two occurences were about a month aprt and the last one wsa at least about a month ago. The water tests fine. i am just very nervous. Thanks for aany input.

2 Posts
I currently have a 30 gallon aquarium with two platies and three guppies along with a nerite snail in it.
I also have a 10 gallon with 2 cory cats and 7 gold zebra danios. My goal is to combine these into the 30. Will the 7 danios at one time give too much of an amonia spike? Should I do them and wait a week to add the cats? I did lose another platy and a cat in the 30 for unexplained reasons. The two occurences were about a month aprt and the last one wsa at least about a month ago. The water tests fine. i am just very nervous. Thanks for aany input.

2 Posts
This is an old post but it’s worth noting for anyone doing research who stumbles on it:
YOUR TANK IS EXTREMELY OVERSTOCKED!
Youre probably following the MYTHIC rule of 1inch of fish per gallon; and it is definitely a myth. For example, a single goldfish at 4” should never be kept in less than a 35 gallon tank, 55 gallon for a pair-and that’s just a minimum.
There are ppl out there who’ll say, “well I had one in a bowl for years and he did fine!”
Harry Potter was fine under the stairs too but we all knew it was wrong for him to live there the rest of his life. Goldfish actually live for 40 years, if cared for well.

There are specific resources online for calculating the Stock/overstock level on your tank. This is my preferred: http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Sad to say but my guess that the ‘unknown’ reason your other fish passed was simply overcrowding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is an old post but it’s worth noting for anyone doing research who stumbles on it:
YOUR TANK IS EXTREMELY OVERSTOCKED!
Youre probably following the MYTHIC rule of 1inch of fish per gallon; and it is definitely a myth. For example, a single goldfish at 4” should never be kept in less than a 35 gallon tank, 55 gallon for a pair-and that’s just a minimum.
There are ppl out there who’ll say, “well I had one in a bowl for years and he did fine!”
Harry Potter was fine under the stairs too but we all knew it was wrong for him to live there the rest of his life. Goldfish actually live for 40 years, if cared for well.

There are specific resources online for calculating the Stock/overstock level on your tank. This is my preferred: http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Sad to say but my guess that the ‘unknown’ reason your other fish passed was simply overcrowding.
OK, Thank you for the reply. I went to the web site and entered my anticipated load. I have a Tetra Whipser 20-40 gallon filter which I did not see on the list of options. If I go the 20 option, yes I am overstocked. At 30 my only warning is that my aquarium filtration capacity is at 98%. If I go the 40 option, I am fine. What type of filtration should I use to ensure the best?
Then I do see the notice about needing a total of 4 corys. I do have the 10 gallon to fall back on with some of these if necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts