Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given the remaining creatures from the environmental club's tank at my school. I got a Glofish Skirt Tetra and an ADF. I put the Tetra which I named One in with my Platys and shrimp, and he seems to be schooling with the gang of Platys. I put the frog with my female Betta, but she kept nipping at it, so I moved it to a cycled 10g that just overcame greenwater. But now little froggy's alone.
I have another Betta, a male, with a Mystery Snail. The two are fine together, but the snail doesn't seem to be doing well with the sand substrate. As soon as I can replace him (the Betta seemed lonely when I took the snail out to examine him), I'm moving the snail back to its original tank, the one the frog is in now. But when I thought this, I came up with a more elaborate plan:
I could create a tank filled with snails, shrimp, frogs, etc.

I see Ghost Shrimp at the pet store near me, and occasionally but rarely, other species at another store. There are Nerite and Mystery Snails at one and only Mystery at the other. I have seen Albino frogs, but I'm not sure if they were Clawed or Dwarf frogs. That's all I got so far. My idea is to have few to no fish actually living in that tank, and if there are other kind of aquatic thing that isn't a fish but will get along with my selection, that would be great too. So... If anyone can lend any ideas as to what other creatures besides the snail and frog I currently have, they would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have seen Dwarf Orange Crayfish at my local fish store, and I believe one or two of those would do well in a tank like the one you're thinking of. At least, I don't think a small crayfish would bother the frogs. Like Ghost Shrimp, I also think Amano Shrimp would be ok mixed in with snails and dwarf frogs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen Dwarf Orange Crayfish at my local fish store, and I believe one or two of those would do well in a tank like the one you're thinking of. At least, I don't think a small crayfish would bother the frogs. Like Ghost Shrimp, I also think Amano Shrimp would be ok mixed in with snails and dwarf frogs.
If I put Endlers in there, would they eat then or are they different than regular crayfish?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
CPOs are different than normal crawfish. I think endlers will be fine.

tankman, ADFs are NOT social but they do fine with others of their kind.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I could link you to a hefty number of websites that say bettas can live in cups and goldfish can live in bowls, that doesn't mean the information is correct. I feel that in deeming them social, you deem them just as social as a dwarf gourami or other community fish. The are named communities for socializing well together, aren't they?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Urrrg :-(... please no arguments 'bout frogs... this one died anyways; social or not it wouldn't add to my question anymore...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know why it died?
No, but it had a slimy looking coating over one of its legs, and unlike when it was at school, it was usually at the top. I got 2 Nerites and they kept trying to escape until recently, so maybe something with the water, even though I did water changes and tested the water before moving/putting all of them there.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Urrrg :-(... please no arguments 'bout frogs... this one died anyways; social or not it wouldn't add to my question anymore...
As you can see arguments are not helpful to members. If you have a problem with another member you need to report it by using the report feature.

By arguing you may cause more harm than good. Willertac I am sorry your frog died and for the arguing.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I dont have a problem with flint. Its just that adfs are social. If not I would like more than one person (that tries to correct me on everything) tell me that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I dont have a problem with flint. Its just that adfs are social. If not I would like more than one person (that tries to correct me on everything) tell me that.
Posted via Mobile Device
If I had any ADF`s I would ask them if they are social or enjoy the company of others but since I don't let me just say I understand your concerns ;-)

PM me tankman12 and I will do my best to address your concerns :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All's well, guys.

Flint, I just remembered that I tested my tap water when I saw your post on my other thread.

Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0-0.5
Hardness: Soft (75 ppm)
Alkalinity: Ideal (120 ppm)
PH: 7.2

There was no ammonia sponge on the strip, so I'll have to get a reading this weekend, sorry. I used the Jungle test strips.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts