Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say I'm glad this post is available, because the other day I was very troubled about the journal site, where a particular person (if you need me to say who I can) was detailing feelings of suffering, suicide, etc..
I, being retired from law enforcement, had to deal with person(s) with mental challenges, issues, and I wondered if I should take some action regarding the post, but I didn't..I felt bad that I didn't...however noticed that this person seems to be getting better.
I just surprises me young forum members feel free to post to the general public.
I really do enjoy this forum, so please don't take it wrong, I just don't know a possible solution to this type of posts? I know its freedom of speech, maybe this "journal" site can be set to a private option? idk just a thought..
thanks again, you guys are doing great, I do enjoy learning from this site and will continue to use..:)
Susie..
PS, Its kinda ironic I post this, because my user name is actual code for mentally ill person(s) that can be a danger to self or others... BUT I applied it to my fish!!

·
Banned
12,153 Posts
Hi Susie. I've also been concerned for some of our members who post of depression and thoughts of suicide. I really don't know what we could do about but maybe this is something the staff should discuss. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Some people find it cathartic to be able to hide behind the curtain and put everything out there. It's the veil of anonymity that lets them put it all out there so to speak.

It's really hard to tell how serious someone's situation is when we don't know them personally and will probaly never meet them or even know their real name.

I guess if we ever feel that someone is serious about hurting themselves or God forbid, killing themselves, the best we can do is try to convince them first - not do do it and secondly - persuade them to get the help they need.

If posts like that start to really disturb other members, the mod team will have to address them in the same way we have to address all disturbing posts.

Thanks for caring enough to put this out there. And don't feel that you didn't do enough. You can always use the report button or copy a link in here if you feel like it's something that warrants attention from the team.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replys, I appreciate that. Looking at this post from my prior career perspective...I felt a need to respond and though it was minimal..it did raise flags. I was trying to view how other viewers response and at this persons last post some viewers are stumped at what to say and left it blank. It leaves you wondering if she/he is really okay..
Theres a fine line between someone reveal in written form, display feelings of doom, depression, and finding underline cry for help and rescue.
The best bet is to monitor at this level and hopefully this person will see people care and will no longer feel the need to display in writing.
Thanks again guys for listening.
Susie :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts