Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Kc and I am from eastern Ontario, sort of between Toronto and Ottawa. As a kid my family had a 25 gallon and we had tropical freshwater fish which did well.

Now as an adult boarding from home my mother and I decided to get a 20 gallon tank as we missed having fish and their so relaxing to watch. We had a few mishaps which led to some fish deaths but seem to have figured out what we did wrong and all seem to be doing well.

Now as I am sure with many of you experts you know that with buying friendly community fish that even that can be a gamble as some might like new comers others will not. We got 2 Platys and 1 Aires Tetra, all 3 get along well with our other fish. However we do not know why but our 1 and only male Dalmatian hates the Tetra with a passion, even when it hides the Dalmatian will search it out and chase it all over the tank biting at it. Because the chase went on for over 4 hours we finally removed our Dalmatian and placed him in another smaller tank as with experience with our male Platy he used to chase all the female Platys till one by one they died from stress.

A question I will ask that perplexed me, is when the Dalmatian began constantly chasing the Tetra it caused some of the other fish to become aggressive towards each other? The other fish are; neon tetras, fruit tetras, guppies, Corys, Platys and female bettas. The others that began getting aggressive towards each other were the fruit tetras and Platys. As soon as I took the Dalmatian out all the fish calmed down and were acting normal, what could have caused this?

Even with research one can still bring a good community fish home and discover that the others do not like the newcomer or the other way around. My mother and I do want to get a 40-50 gallon tank come spring as we want a larger tank to add more tropical freshwater community fish to, but for now were happy what we have.

I look forward to gaining new information from the site and all of the members. Thanks for letting me join. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum!!

Sounds like he's just wanting to breed. You can try adding more males to the tank so he focuses more on them instead of the other fish.
I will say though that your Tetra does need to be in a group. Safety in numbers when it comes to fish so often they don't feel comfortable without a shoal or school. Freshwater fish don't school as tightly or in the same manner that Saltwater fish do, but they do need numbers. So I'd suggest adding 5 more of those guys to make that one feel safer. Tetra's typically don't hide unless they feel not safe. Unless...you say these three fish were new? Do you already have other fish in that tank or is it just the three?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi lilnaugrim,

I have several other fish within the tank, the 3 new comers were two Platys and the Aires Tetra. I have had the Dalmatian Molly for over a month now, he originally had a female with him and he harassed her till she died from stress. When she died he was normal with the other tank members never bothering them.

When we got these 3 new fish, he didn't bother with the Platys but he was chasing the Aires Tetra around the tank constantly biting at it till the fish began laying near the top. Awhile after removing the Molly the Aires Tetra calmed down and began swimming normally again and it's fine with the other members of the tank and the other fish are fine with it.

I've already lost enough fish I don't want to lose any more by allowing the male Platy to harass the new female Platys to death. When I first got him I had 5 females and one by one he'd pick on each of them till one by one they died. The fish store keeper is letting me return him as well as the Dalmatian Molly, it's not worth the lives of the new comers to be stressed to death when they are getting along with their other new tank mates. :crying:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts