Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 neon tetras and 1 black tetra, as well as 2 cory catfish (1 leopard, 1 albino). I suspect that 1 of my tetras is a female, and her belly appears to be swollen. I’m thinking she could be pregnant, but more likely sick, and a male keeps nipping and butting her. I have a 5 gallon aquarium, and I’m wondering what I should do to prevent the situation from getting worse. I heard that 3 tetras is too few and they are glass surfing and crowding at the back of the tank, but I already have 2 Corys, so I’m thinking getting 3 more tetras would be overstocking the tank. I replace 1 gallon of water regularly and vacuumed recently after a long time.

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
376 Posts
The tank looks very cute. I would get about 3-4 more tetras to stop stress, I don't think that will be too many. I would also add 1 more cory catfish, they are very social but if any more it will definitely be way overstocked. Otherwise I think that it will be fine. Some close up pictures of it might help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank looks very cute. I would get about 3-4 more tetras to stop stress, I don't think that will be too many. I would also add 1 more cory catfish, they are very social but if any more it will definitely be way overstocked. Otherwise I think that it will be fine. Some close up pictures of it might help.
Thank you! I will keep that in mind, I thought adding more fish would be best as well. Here are some closeups of the tetras. Ignore the annoying double posting
Wool Magenta Woolen Electric blue Stuffed toy

Electric blue Glass Ingredient Leaf vegetable Event
Green Red Natural foods Ingredient Rock
Electric blue Glass Ingredient Leaf vegetable Event
Wool Magenta Woolen Electric blue Stuffed toy

Green Red Natural foods Ingredient Rock

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 2 neon tetras and 1 black tetra, as well as 2 cory catfish (1 leopard, 1 albino). I suspect that 1 of my tetras is a female, and her belly appears to be swollen. I’m thinking she could be pregnant, but more likely sick, and a male keeps nipping and butting her. I have a 5 gallon aquarium, and I’m wondering what I should do to prevent the situation from getting worse. I heard that 3 tetras is too few and they are glass surfing and crowding at the back of the tank, but I already have 2 Corys, so I’m thinking getting 3 more tetras would be overstocking the tank. I replace 1 gallon of water regularly and vacuumed recently after a long time.
I agree with you. A five gallon twnk will not support any more fish and keep them healthy. Unfortunately, the choice of tetras for this tank was not a good one. There isn’t much you can do. A neon tetra (if that is the one you are referring to) is very fragile and if it is being bullied by the others it will most likely succumb. Adding more fish would be a disaster in the making. The best best would be to isolate the fish. If you have an isolation box…..plastic or mesh that you can hang on the inside of the tank, that would be your best bet to try to get the tetra to recuperate. Otherwise, you pretty much have to allow nature to take its course or remove the affected fish and euthanize.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't support euthanizing fish unless it is clear they are under extreme pain. From the photos the fish only looks slightly stressed out. When i was about 6 (I didn't no any better) I made the same mistake but in a 2.5 gallon. I got 4 more and they were all fine. Yes, it was to tiny for them but they were all okay. This might not be an experience everybody has and gets the same results with but killing the fish is not a good option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't support euthanizing fish unless it is clear they are under extreme pain. From the photos the fish only looks slightly stressed out. When i was about 6 (I didn't no any better) I made the same mistake but in a 2.5 gallon. I got 4 more and they were all fine. Yes, it was to tiny for them but they were all okay. This might not be an experience everybody has and gets the same results with but killing the fish is not a good option.
In my 55 years of being an aquarist, sometimes it is necessary to euthanize. I realize that most if the members here are young but it is something that must be addressed at times. A photo does not always show what is really going on there in person, you cannot tell just what that fish is dealing with. For instance, can YOU tell if the fish is swimming normally, or darting around the tank, or even able to keep it’s balance? I am simply stating that euthanasia might be necessary as a last resort, not that the original poster absolutely needs to do it.
It is for the owner of the fish to determine if the fish is struggling and in pain, or may be in such a state that it will in all likelyhood not survive.
You may need to change your name. It does not sound like you are truly a “fish expert” if you are only going to tell the original poster that his or her fish looks fine because of a photo. only by seeing the fish in person would you be able to see the actual state of the fish, which as I have said needs to be determined by the original poster.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hello, if the fish is still eating (Which I don't think was addressed in this situation) their is likely not a need for euthanizing a fish. I am okay with it AS LONG AS YOUR 99.9% CERTAIN THE FISH IS IN PAIN! I had to euthanize my betta fish a few months ago so don't go around accusing people that they don't know what they are talking about. I understand that your not saying the original poster has to euthanize the fish but your recommending things that aren't necessary whatsoever during the time and predicament the neon tetra is currently in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts