Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well whatever plants can live with the roots in the water(at water level not submerged).
But you could use for example anubias nana and keep the roots submerged and the top of the plant at water level, they wont care if it's actually a root or not as long as it looks like a good place for a egg clutch. The idea is that they need something at the top of the water to keep the eggs from floating away or geting all over the place. Maybe even water lettuce would work. Unfortunetly since they breed once/year trial and error will be an ars to deal with.
Look at this photo from the water feature in my vivarium, I have anubias and water moss in there and the moss is at the top of the water level and the anubias to.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
ahh yes i see....hmmmmm you got me thinking.
haha i will go to bed thinking of ideas now,and wake up the same in the morning.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i will go to bed thinking of ideas now,and wake up the same in the morning.
That's in my book the best way to go to bed! :)
Also the best way to actually get results.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
lol i will dream the whole thing,down to every detail !
then get on ebay and order up some stuff.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You said you don't change the water?

Do you use a filter?

Wouldn't the water become toxic from going through the soil so many times?

I know that when you keep potted plants you need a hole in the bottom for the water to drain out because if it has no place to go and becomes stagnant it becomes toxic.

Does this only happen if it is stagnant?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It has no reason to become stagnant. The water under the substrate is pulled by a pump, dumped over the rocks(waterfall) and goes back under the substrate(without touching the substrate). Each day the mist sistem mists more water. When the water level rises to much I just take out some of it or all of it if I feel like it(never really do).
There is nothing living in the water, the frogs do not swim in it or poop or whatever in it.
The only downside is that the water gets a bit brown from the coco humus but it's far from toxic or stale. No smell no nothing, Ph is around 6, not a problem in sight. And it's the same for 99% of the vivariums out there and there are a lot of them to.
The mist sistem does not use the water inside the vivarium to mist, it uses fresh water from the tap and I let it dechlorinate for 24 hours, the 24 hours period also allows for (most)impurities in the water to go down and thus it does not mess with my mist sistem.
That is all I do.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Wow, looks like im way late to seeing this thread. That's a awesome setup Redknee, very very awesome. Do you by any chance have experience with nano viv/paludarium setups?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
How often do you have to drain the tank? I would imagine that gunk would build up in the false bottom even with good circulation. Also, unless the bottom is always soaking, i think it would be at risk for mold? Have you have any mold issues on the underside of the false bottom?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I drain the tank when the water is close to the actual substrate(usually). There is no mold anywhere in the tank with proper ventilation/air circulation.
As for gunk not really, the false bottom has 2 layers of mesh, one for strenght and another to actually keep stuff out of the water. And over those 2 layers I have aquarium sand(4-5mm grain).
There is a tiny bit of gunk but that got in there by my hand by mystake when I was setting up the waterfall.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
So you don't have problems with frog poop in the water and stuff? I wanna make a nano that kinda looks likes yours minus the waterfall, only gonna keep a false bottom with pump to circulate. I want to avoid having to drill the tank or reach under, as its a nano and my hands would have trouble working in it a lot. I don't want to hijack your thread though, I did create another thread on it so I don't want to go into too much detail here.

Back to the original post, do you have pics of your frogs? I would love to see them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So you don't have problems with frog poop in the water and stuff? I wanna make a nano that kinda looks likes yours minus the waterfall, only gonna keep a false bottom with pump to circulate. I want to avoid having to drill the tank or reach under, as its a nano and my hands would have trouble working in it a lot. I don't want to hijack your thread though, I did create another thread on it so I don't want to go into too much detail here.

Back to the original post, do you have pics of your frogs? I would love to see them.
I will take a few photos in the weekend. Poison dart frogs dont use the water as they do not need it. The poop is so small it would take a month to fill a small cup, maybe...
Link me your thread and I'll help there if you prefer.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts