Tropical Fish Keeping banner

75 gallon tank cycled!

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  NewFishFiend 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Well here is an update. I got my 75 gallon tank cycled (0,0,10) and haved added my 2 angelfish and my 4 tetras (yes I know that my stocking is not great, but I wanted them out of the 30 gallon with the tiger barbs). My live plants are growing and everything is on track. Tomorrow I'm going to the LFS and cannot decide what else to stock my tank with! My angels are my most favorite fish I have. I know I need non-aggressive, slow moving fish, but I'm not loving the suggestions on the Angelfish page. Any recommendations? I'd like to have a lil variety in this tank.

Also, as I've stated in another thread, my 3 barbs are by themselves in the 30 gallon now and they are miserable. We are going to donate them to the LFS. My male is just dominating the tank and the females are stressed to the max. The 30 gallon is cycled as well and we would like to start a new stock of community fish. We are going to get live plants for it as well. Any suggestions on good 30 gallon community fish stocking?

I love love love this forum. I am an addict to both the hobby and the website haha. I very much appreciate all the wonderful insight and information! keep it coming!!

#2 ·
mistakes, mistakes, and more mistakes

Hi all! I have posted under other categories, but feel this category is pertinent for some questions. I am new to the hobby and started with a 30 gallon tank with (gasp) 4 black neon tetras, 2 angelfish, 3 tiger barbs. I quickly learned this was a mistake. Got a 75 gallon tank up and cycled and added my 4 tetras first, then introduced my 2 angels. Now after reading some in this forum, I feel I have once again made a mistake....

I love my angels. They are my favorite fish so far. I have a gold marbled and a black marbled. They are about a quarter in size in the body. I have no idea if they are male or female. The 2 of them hang out all the time, and I haven't seen any aggression. I've had them together from the start. The gold one is slightly larger and is obviously the boss, but s/he hasn't shown any aggression yet. I have no idea if they are a pair or not. After reading, I see I should have bought 5 instead of 2. I've had them for about 2.5 months. Tomorrow I was going to my LFS to get more fish for my 75 gallon. I want to rectify my mistake of just having 2 angels, but now I'm scared they won't be accepted by the original 2. They are still young and it is a big, well planted tank. So, I guess my question is, buy 3 more angels about the same size as the 2 I have and hope for the best or leave well enough alone and stock with more of the black neon tetras (to give them a school of about 10 instead of just 4) and other compatible fish?

#4 ·
okay, so after some research, i think i've decided that ima give it a whirl and add 3 more angels and also:

6 more black neon tetras (for a total of 10)
2 bolivian rams
10 harlequin rasbora

thoughts?

#5 · (Edited)
you wont be able to tell for a while. which sex they are mine are 8 months old now and just been able to figure it out. here is a site that will help when the day comes. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=75528. mine used to be lovely lil buddies now it seems one is more aggressive then they other. no nipped fins just some chasing aroundf the tank. adding neons while the angelfish are still young would be a good idea. some people think that if added at such a young age they wont eat the neons or harm them. its a risk seeing as angelfish do get rather large. adding angelfish while they are still very small and young is your best bet. even tho i had bought 2 then another two a few weeks later i found the two new ones dead. not sure if it was from my buenos aires tetras or the other angels but the 4 angelfish were of same size. just keep researching an asking questions. this is just all stuff ive found from keeping my angels and my experience so far.

#6 ·
you wont be able to tell for a while. which sex they are mine are 8 months old now and just been able to figure it out. here is a site that will help when the day comes.
. mine used to be lovely lil buddies now it seems one is more aggressive then they other. no nipped fins just some chasing aroundf the tank. adding neons while the angelfish are still young would be a good idea. some people think that if added at such a young age they wont eat the neons. its a risk seeing as angelfish do get rather large.
I'm going to give it a shot with the tetras. If they become angelfish food.... well.... such is the cycle of life. Ideally I would not want that, but I'm willing to take the risk. I'm hoping my LFS has the fish I want lol.

#10 ·
Is there a rule as to how many for size tanks and suck for snails. If i put snails in my new 75 gallon (cycled) with minimum fish at this point, would they starve? Any suggestions on a type of snail or does it matter?
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
What kind of snails were you thinking of getting?
You say your tank is decently planted, mystery snails/apple snails will snack on your plants. So these may not be a good idea for your planted tank.
I like ramshorn snails and trumpet snails.
What kind of substrate are you using? Trumpet snails will help aerate your substrate as they burrow through it. This will help prevent the build of anaerobic bacteria, especially in finer substrates such as sand or dirt. (I believe your plants may help with anaerobic bacteria as well if your tank is heavily planted).
Ramshorn snails will eat your excess fish food, they make a good clean up crew. However they breed like crazy and many people think of them as pest snails. They'll also eat algae on the sides of your tank. If you go with these and end up with an excess you can plop some in another tank (if you have one) or give them away to other hobbyists.

#12 ·
I came across the other thread on much the same issues, so I have merged the two threads together. It is always better to keep one issue in a single thread. It prevents other members from duplicating their efforts, plus we can all see what has been said, and in the end you will get a better answer.:)

To your question about the proposed fish additions: adding angelfish to a tank already containing angelfish is very risky, as you seem to realize. If one of the two existing fish is a male, he may regard any new fish as intruders. Sometimes this can work if the existing angels are taken out, the tank is completely re-aquascaped, and then all the angels are added together. But this is not always successful. If the existing fish are both female, it is less likely to be a problem. The size/age of the existing angelfish also is a factor. This is mentioned in the profile.

Bolivian Ram can work with angelfish, but you need a bonded pair. A single Bolivian is fine; or a bonded pair. Bonded means the two fish have chosen each other; careful observation of the fish in the store tank will usually reveal bonded pairs. Putting a male and female together if they have not bonded usually results in the female being harassed, frequently to her death.

Byron.

Reactions: NewFishFiend
#13 ·
As alwys Byron, your answer is very helpful and knowledgeable. We did end up getting 3 more angels. I will do as you suggest and remove the original 2, rescape and add all 5 together. They r all pretty young. I made sure to get the new ones the same size as the other.

We went with a school of 10 platys (3:1 f/m ratio). I know the angels will eat the platy fry and thats fine.

For the 30 gallon we went with 2 freshwater puffers and some mystery snails. We waited on the snails for the 75 gallon until we have introduced all the fish and they have something to really eat on.

#16 ·
Ha, I research when I'm at the store too. Some of the workers give me really funny looks when I pull out my phone and start Googling. And some of them seem so offended when they ask me if I need to know about something and I say I'd rather look it up - I've gotten some REALLY bad advice from pet store workers.
I don't believe I've seen that puffer, but it's good they didn't try selling you a brackish puffer as freshwater. My fiance's tank is a pain in the butt because he did that, neither of us knew anything about brackish tanks. And even though it's his tank I'm still the one that gets stuck researching and looking everything up.

It's kind of funny the tetras ate all the babies, my money would have been on the angels. With all the platy's you have though I'm sure the angels will eventually get their fill of baby fish.

#17 ·
I guess it was the luck of the draw when we added the platys that the tetras just happened to be close by. I didnt even know the tetras would eat babies lol. The angels were too busy exploring their other new schoolmates to notice the fry of platys. But we have a couple pregnant females so im sure the angels will get them a bite lol. Thats actually one of the reasons i decided on the number of platys i did. I figured the fry would be a nice for my angels, never dreamed for the tetras too lol.

We also got a sweet new 4 gallon fluval tank for our betta. Hes a HaPpY man lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.