Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to this forum in an attempt to get some assistance with my tank. It's been set up for around 7 months and for the past 3 or so months the plants have been getting brown slime of algae on it I believe to be called Silica Algae. The 5 snails I have clean up the glass and rock nicely, the gravel is cleaned with a siphon so I can keep most of it clean but having just bought two new plants I can see they are a bright green and my others are dull and covered in brown slime.

I've been reading up last few days and stuck as to what I need to do.

Tank is 170 litres and a cube shape, with Fluval Aquasky LED on top which has been set to 100% white 100% red and on 10hours a day following recommendations for someone proficient in aquascaping. I have a variety of community fish, cherry barbs, penguin tetra, cardinal tetra, black widow tetra and dwarf neon tetra.

I have a number of plants but think I could get more.
Only yesterday I removed all the moss (taxiphyllum barbieri) from my wood as it was overgrown despite trimming lots and full of dirt and fish waste. Generally brownish and covered in dirt and slim I wasn't convinced on the look as it hid the wood which is meant to be the main vocal point.
I have one front plant which has spread to be 8cam in diameter. The back plants are reads ish and large, two Echinodorus bleheri and two Vallisneria Natans. Also have one other I can't find the name of, it's tall having hit the 50cm height of the tank, but again the individual leaves are covered in brown slime. I can clean this off with my fingers of most leaves, some are more delicate so can't.

I really need to understand the cause so I can start to make changes to prevent it the brown slim.

I have a fluval 307 external filter which I've just added two days ago Fluval's Clearmax media to, been told it's a Silica filter and will help fight the algae and Nitrate levels. My tap water is high in nitrate, 40ppm out the tap but I recently purchased a filter which removes all nitrate from my tap water (Not reverse osmosis water) just removes Nitrate. Been doing 30% changes twice a week but no sign yet of a reduction to the brown slime but I'm not sure how quickly it would clear.

Ammonia is 0ppm
Nitrite is 0ppm
PH is 8.2 due to hard water in my area
I dont have GH or KH readings yet but I know from water source I'm in a Very Hard water area. I'm on the verge of starting a split 50/50 filtered 0% Nitrate Water and Reverses Osmosis water to soften it and reduce PH but this is for the fish rather than plants I believe.

My Nitrate was 40 to 50ppm until about 6 weeks ago, due to high value in tap water but today it's now 5 - 10ppm after a 20% water change yesterday. I'm now a little concerned I drop the Nitrate too much and the plants will suffer. Oh I also add for each water change 10ml of JBL Ferropol liquid fertiliser for the micro nutrients.

Not sure what else to add, I know this is a huge post and a lot of information but are there any glaring obvious issues? I've added two new plants, I'm tempted to add more to boost the amount trying to get nutrients and starve the algae.

I think I might be pinning too much hope on the reverse osmosis water, will it really make that huge a difference?

Thank you for reading and appreciate any comments.
I'm at a loss as what to do with the brown slime as now my

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would advise against adding more nutrients, this can boost the growth of algae. I got ottos and they helped with my brown slime. I would get them to help if you do not have a cleanup crew. My 29 gallon has a team of ottos and kuhli loaches to clean up after my goldfish and mt minnows. Nerite snails can help too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use RODI water and it makes a Huge difference in my tanks. My local fish store sells it by the gallon but they also have the RODI systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

New to this forum in an attempt to get some assistance with my tank. It's been set up for around 7 months and for the past 3 or so months the plants have been getting brown slime of algae on it I believe to be called Silica Algae. The 5 snails I have clean up the glass and rock nicely, the gravel is cleaned with a siphon so I can keep most of it clean but having just bought two new plants I can see they are a bright green and my others are dull and covered in brown slime.

I've been reading up last few days and stuck as to what I need to do.

Tank is 170 litres and a cube shape, with Fluval Aquasky LED on top which has been set to 100% white 100% red and on 10hours a day following recommendations for someone proficient in aquascaping. I have a variety of community fish, cherry barbs, penguin tetra, cardinal tetra, black widow tetra and dwarf neon tetra.

I have a number of plants but think I could get more.
Only yesterday I removed all the moss (taxiphyllum barbieri) from my wood as it was overgrown despite trimming lots and full of dirt and fish waste. Generally brownish and covered in dirt and slim I wasn't convinced on the look as it hid the wood which is meant to be the main vocal point.
I have one front plant which has spread to be 8cam in diameter. The back plants are reads ish and large, two Echinodorus bleheri and two Vallisneria Natans. Also have one other I can't find the name of, it's tall having hit the 50cm height of the tank, but again the individual leaves are covered in brown slime. I can clean this off with my fingers of most leaves, some are more delicate so can't.

I really need to understand the cause so I can start to make changes to prevent it the brown slim.

I have a fluval 307 external filter which I've just added two days ago Fluval's Clearmax media to, been told it's a Silica filter and will help fight the algae and Nitrate levels. My tap water is high in nitrate, 40ppm out the tap but I recently purchased a filter which removes all nitrate from my tap water (Not reverse osmosis water) just removes Nitrate. Been doing 30% changes twice a week but no sign yet of a reduction to the brown slime but I'm not sure how quickly it would clear.

Ammonia is 0ppm
Nitrite is 0ppm
PH is 8.2 due to hard water in my area
I dont have GH or KH readings yet but I know from water source I'm in a Very Hard water area. I'm on the verge of starting a split 50/50 filtered 0% Nitrate Water and Reverses Osmosis water to soften it and reduce PH but this is for the fish rather than plants I believe.

My Nitrate was 40 to 50ppm until about 6 weeks ago, due to high value in tap water but today it's now 5 - 10ppm after a 20% water change yesterday. I'm now a little concerned I drop the Nitrate too much and the plants will suffer. Oh I also add for each water change 10ml of JBL Ferropol liquid fertiliser for the micro nutrients.

Not sure what else to add, I know this is a huge post and a lot of information but are there any glaring obvious issues? I've added two new plants, I'm tempted to add more to boost the amount trying to get nutrients and starve the algae.

I think I might be pinning too much hope on the reverse osmosis water, will it really make that huge a difference?

Thank you for reading and appreciate any comments.
I'm at a loss as what to do with the brown slime as now my
I've heard that brown algae can sometimes be rectified through increasing lighting and removing decaying matter (if you have any). I've had these outbreaks recently and changed the light, so far, I have no new algae, but as I only did this about a week ago, it may be too soon to tell. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts