Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

So about a month and a half ago, one of my female bettas in my betta sorority died from something I never managed to treat and I didn’t find out what it was. At first I just thought it could be aggression, though I didn’t really know, I wasn’t too worried. But 2 days later, another one died, same symptoms (I can put a pic of the second betta that died).
Her symptoms were very weird, I’ve never heard of this happening before, she had skin torn off, which sounds gross I know, the skin was torn off near the tail. With the first betta that died it was a bit different, she looked like she had “exploded“, he’s stomach was very very bloated (though I wasn’t over feeding, it was bloated with eggs). That’s when I started to get worried, I treated it with what I had, which wasnt much, and everything was going fine for a couple weeks. I noticed my molly was having trouble swimming, and looked unusually bloated, but was eating fine. The water parameters were normal, and everyone else was doing fine. Then, it was time for me to go on vacation for a couple days. Before I went on vacation I had put my 2 mollies in a hospital tank and treated them with aquarium salt, one had pop eye, the other one had trouble swimming and was bloated. I also put my other 2 bettas that where in that tank in a hospital tank, one had pop eye, and one was extremely lethargic (they were in separate hospital tanks). When I got back, the betta that was lethargic was dead, and about an hour after I got back the lethargic molly died. The other betta who had pop eye was fine for a couple days, then died, she was lethargic towards the end. The molly with pop eye was fine, and a couple weeks after showing no symptoms I put her back in the main tank.

Then the same stuff started happening in other tanks I had bettas in. First my sisters betta died, he was Rey lethargic, then my other male betta died, he had the same symptoms my females had. they were all in different tanks, which makes me think it’s something in my water.
This morning I went to feed the fish and I found another male betta dead. He didn’t show any physical symptom, but he was quite lethargic for the last couple days of his life. Now I’m extremely worried, this seems to be effecting only my bettas, though one molly died of an unknown cause, and one got pop eye.

I now only have one betta left, and he’s acting normal, eating fine and looking healthy, though with all my other bettas they were fine for one day, dead the next, so I’m worried this will happen to him too. Please help

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes you can but its stress to them so you can not put bettas togther they will fight and kill eachother

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uhhh, I’m not going to get more bettas, or any fish until I find out what this is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is a strange one. So many different problems with different fish in different tanks. Weird. My first thought would have been poor water quality, but as you've tested and its fine.....and its a multi tank problem, I would say perhaps it is a water supply issue, like you suggested. Have you obtained a report from your local water supply company? They will normally provide these for free and it will have all the information re the make up of your local water. There may be a clue in there as to what's going on.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The water looks SUPER dirty. You might want to invest in a gravel cleaner, I bought mine on Amazon. Also, did you make sure that ur system was filtering properly before you put them in? You also might want to buy a freshwater aquarium test kit from petsmart or petco. Most Petsmart's have pre- prepared freshwater aquarium water if you still can't find out what is happening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts