Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 55g tank that I plan in using for my turtle is on a solid oak dresser and it's pretty flat. But the tank only contacts the dresser on the corners for about 4in then the rest is raised a little (I can fit a quarter under it) I think this may be because I bought the tank when it was like -10ish and then brought it in my house which is a steady 70. Could this have made the trim warp a little? Also I can rock the tank back and forth (two corners rock)

·
Registered
54 Posts
i would return the tank if you arent satisfied. that could pose a threat to the integrity of the tank when it has 800 pounds of water in it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Returning the tank won't fix the top of the dresser. Put a straight edge on it, drywall squares work good for longer spans. You can also securely tack a piece of string around the edge of one side, pull it tight to the other side. Look for that gap in the middle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Returning the tank won't fix the top of the dresser. Put a straight edge on it, drywall squares work good for longer spans. You can also securely tack a piece of string around the edge of one side, pull it tight to the other side. Look for that gap in the middle.
Ahh I see it :shock:(It being the gap) anyway to fix this because I cannot get a new stand and sanding and staining are not an option for me (also quick, planing to set up tomorrow)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Get a piece of 1/2" plywood slightly larger than the tank base, and a thin sheet of foam to go beneath it, same size. Dresser, foam, plywood then tank, the plywood will give a bit, the foam will allow the ends to settle while keeping the center supported. I went with plain 1/2" plywood on top of my racks for just this reason, wood is not a static thing, it can warp & move a bit over time, the plywood makes up for this. You might be able to get by with just the plywood, the thin layer of foam is just a bit of reassurance, not knowing how out of plane the top is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a piece of 1/2" plywood slightly larger than the tank base, and a thin sheet of foam to go beneath it, same size. Dresser, foam, plywood then tank, the plywood will give a bit, the foam will allow the ends to settle while keeping the center supported. I went with plain 1/2" plywood on top of my racks for just this reason, wood is not a static thing, it can warp & move a bit over time, the plywood makes up for this. You might be able to get by with just the plywood, the thin layer of foam is just a bit of reassurance, not knowing how out of plane the top is.
Insted of the plywood since it's decently expensive where I live I'm going to build a frame that the tank can sit on and then put the foam under it

·
Registered
690 Posts
It doesn't have to be new plywood, snoop around CL or Freecycle. I've got a 3'x10' rack that has plywood pulled from a trailer bed, freebie from a snowmobile guy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Homedepot or lumber yard will have a scrap pile of wood that you can get for dirt cheap. Its all warped or cracked somehow but you can cut it down to size... Built a few stands from their scrap haha cost me about 10 bucks to make a 55 gallon stand out of 2 by 4's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts