Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
22,556 Posts
I fully concur with increasing the "shoaling" fish species already present. You can read more about this in the respective profiles, click the shaded names Golden Barb, Penguin Tetra. Neon Tetra at 9 is better, though a few more wouldn't hurt.

I assume the platy are male/female, since there are fry. These will have to be controlled or they can easily overwhelm the tank's biological equilibrium as they increase. Culling the fry somehow will be necessary. The profile explains the fast reproduction of this fish.

I agree on getting a nitrate test kit. API make a reliable one. Nitrate and pH are the only tests I bother with after so many years, and having heavily-planted tanks. And knowing the source water (tap) on its own with respect to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, as well as pH and GH, is essential.

I would keep a close eye on the Chinese Algae Eater. Assuming this is the correct species, this fish can turn nasty literally overnight. It is also a heavy waste machine, which has to be compensated for. And I would up your weekly water change to 1/3 or 1/2 of the tank volume, every week. This article explains why:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-articles/regular-partial-water-changes-117205/

Byron.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.