Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a couple of pictures. I had to run to borrow my sisters camera so some of these pictures are from a few days ago but ill try to keep up to date with the rest of the pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i couldn't figure out how to type between the pictures to give some captions but there will be more coming tomorrow. the water should be cleared by then and i will post some more pictures. i only have about 65-75 lbs of rock total so i want to go buy some more live tomorrow but we will see what happens....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So its been over 48 hours since i added the sand and my tank is still pretty cloudy. I realize some peoples tanks will clear faster than others but it seems mine is taking forever! its actually been closer to 62 hours now. The guy at the LFS told me to add the sand like that (by submerging the bag then cutting it open), hope that didnt do any harm. All my powerheads should be off, correct? What about the skimmer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would start the skimmer, don't worry the cloud will eventually clear up, but may have been a better idea to give it a quick rinse first, but it will clear, I am not sure about the power heads, I started mine right away, and the tank cleared anyways.
you did add the salt right?
what salt? haha just kidding ya I checked salinity and everything before adding rock and sand. The guy at the LFS wanted me to spend a little bit more money to get this sand cause its not suppose to need rinsing... guess I should have rinsed anyway. It's ok though, I've got nothing but time. It's just hard to aquascape when you cant see the rocks haha

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A good bit of the cloudiness will go away if you add some rock to the tank. I suspect this is bacteria looking for a surface to attach to. I had this same issue in my 54 reef, which is well documented in my build thread:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-pictures-videos/pasfurs-58-bowfront-build-21969/
Today the tank had cleared up a little but was still very cloudy. I added about 50 lbs of rock to the tank so we will see what it looks like tomorrow. I'll post a pic.

merry xmas everyone!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right again, Pasfur. Haha, the rocks definitely helped the water clear. I'm having to do my rockwork little by little because I can only move 1 or 2 of the rocks without it clouding back up but thats OK. I will be attaching a crude picture of where I plan to place my rocks. It consists basically of 2 different islands but tell me if you guys think any of the rock placement will pose any future problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Key:
Red = Highest rock
Dark Blue = middle height of rock
Light blue = rock from 0-4 inches high

This was made really fast in Paint and will most likely be altered a little bit but this is just a visual overview of what I planned on. Any input, comments, or advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
post some pics! anxious to see it with the live rock
The rock thats in there now (aside from like 3 or 4 of them) were just thrown in there to try and get the water to clear. I will be at my girlfriends house (where the tank is) after work tonight so I will post some of them later just so you can see it so far

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heres a picture similar to the two island setup that I had planned. I intend to alter the placement of each of them but the principle is the same I guess. Just to give you all a visual:

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, this is the exact picture I was looking at for design, loved it! but did not turn out that way....lol, alot of my live rock pieces are big, and no way can come close to the above, I can bet the above picture is a very large tank
Haha! going back and looking at your 65g tank I can see that! I realize it wont turn out the exact same, and dont necessarily want it to, but if it looks good like yours id be happy with it haha

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Key:
Red = Highest rock
Dark Blue = middle height of rock
Light blue = rock from 0-4 inches high

This was made really fast in Paint and will most likely be altered a little bit but this is just a visual overview of what I planned on. Any input, comments, or advice would be appreciated!
I figure both of the islands will definitely end up wider than in the sketch, but thats ok because it will give me more places to put corals

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A few new pics. The water has cleared and im doing rock work little by little. Moving the rocks around makes the tank cloud up again so its hard to do a lot of rock work at once. The rocks on the back right are where I want them I think, the ones on the left havent been placed yet.

Going to the LFS today to grab some little things like a magnet cleaner and maybe a water heater.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts