Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you guys...

One of my current tanks is a 37g (30x13) on nice & solid cabinet. I would like to change to a 40g breeder (36x18) when I find one on sale. If I were to make a solid platform for the new tank to sit on, could I get away using the same stand? Only 3" overhang per side is not a lot, and I have seen stands that basically cantilever tanks they were made for, not to mention the fact this is not a particle board stand. The extra platform would be a thicker wood plank with some bits to keep it from sliding around & whatnot, and the tanks weight would be transferred properly. I'm just worried it may get tipsy?

~Matt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was thinking the main weight would still be centered & ok, but was still worried it *may* loose stability with some weight further out. Just might have to be more careful around it.

I'd really like to do it to gain floorspace for my shrimp tank, but also because I dont like the tall tanks much either.

·
Registered
528 Posts
yeah i do really like the 40 breeders they have nice wide foot print. only thing sucks is you cant like try it out an see cuz if it doesnt work out it breaks the stand an the tank so i donno. how long do you plan on having it on this stand?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi
I just reinforced a small dresser to make a stand for my new 50 gal. I used 2x6 studs on each end to support the top plank and add stability. I would want some type of support outside the frame of the tank, not just centered. I would add a plank the exact size of the tank for a top, then support the top plank with construction lumber .
Good luck with your project!

And yeah I agree that 40 gal is maybe the best value for a medium size tank. The extra floorspace is great and also the surface area is large in proportion to volume of water.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how long I would have it on the stand just yet. Several months at least, as I have a 75g tank I will be moving them into at some point once the shrimplets all grow out & maybe let them grow in numbers a little. It is my brothers tank/stand, but he isn't going to be setting it up anytime soon. If I could upgrade to the 40g for $40, I'm gonna be all over it.

I pictured a 3/4 or 1" plank (oak or similar strong wood) just slightly larger than the tank with some smaller trimboards to center it on the stand. I don't see strength of the board as an issue, just the stability of the filled tank on the smaller shaped stand.

I'm tempted to try setting a tank on a stand at the pet store just to visualize it first, very carefully of course.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Maybe .5 inch top plank or even thinner. A thick plank won't look as tidy . Your on the right track. Nice oak planks at lowes were 20-28$. Cheaper ( but still nice) planks were 10-15$, and pannel board sheets were 8-10$.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Only 3" overhang per side is not a lot
That is 44% of the tank overhanging. 3 inches doesn't seem like a lot, but it is. That being said, if the base placed on top of the stand is sufficiently strong, then it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
44% seems awfully high..... that would be a stand barely larger than half-size the tank. I was estimating around 20% total.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
44% seems awfully high..... that would be a stand barely larger than half-size the tank. I was estimating around 20% total.
The total area of the 40 is 648 square inches. The area of the stand is 360 square inches. The difference is 288 square inches, which is 44% of the area of the 40.

I used 12 inches instead of 13 for the stand, so it's 40% not 44%.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quick question for you guys...

The extra platform would be a thicker wood plank with some bits to keep it from sliding around & whatnot, and the tanks weight would be transferred properly. I'm just worried it may get tipsy?

~Matt
I think you are right to be concerned about it being tipsy. Contrary to most I would hang most of the width out the back and place some kind of support under the over hang. The length overhang of three inches is a smaller percentage of the problem.

The over turning moment arm would only be 20% longer in that case while the overturning moment arm of the width would be 50% even with the tank centered. The calculations are based on the CG of the filled tank, ie. the center of the length and width.

Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jaysee-
yea, I see that now.... was't even thinking it through right. Still doesn't seem right, but numbers don't lie.

avraptorhal-
When I was at Petco to get the tank, I saw they had a reasonable looking metal stand for the tank for $31. Definitely not a nice wood cabinet like I want, but being this is a 'temporary' setup & would cost less than the materials to even make an adapter board, I think I will just get that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts