Tropical Fish Keeping banner

40 Gallon tall

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  MrTony1920 
#1 ·
I'm going to help co working with a 40 gallon tall tank. He new to fish tanks. What would be good hardy fish to get Him stared? What about live plants? Thank You

#2 ·
I recommend amazon swords for sure. They get big and are relatively easy to keep. Fluval substrate has worked great for me in the past. Some snails will start the cycling process (I recommend only getting a few and buying different types to help prevent to much breeding) and neon tetras or cardinal tetras might be pretty. I would have the tank at max 80 degrees with 2-4 discus.

#4 ·
Danios would also be really good. Cory catfish would go great with them Black skirt tetras would also be good and are very hardy. Platies Mollies and Sword tails would also be a great edition. Plecos are probably not ideal for this situation. Java fern are usually pretty easy to keep. Any type of Amazon sword like micro swordsis good really. So are white ribbon plants. I got one about a month ago and its been thriving. For carpeting I would use torn up moss balls or Christmas moss. I haven't tried either yet but I have heard Christmas moss in particular is very easy and moss balls, while need to be tied onto wire at first are very easy to maintain afterwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.