Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I started up my 36 gallon bow front about a month and a week ago, and it houses four assorted platys and two ghost shrimp. I'm trying to figure out how I should stock it further, and what decorations I should look at. Mainly inspiration would be appreciated.

Also, my 55 gallon tank that houses my 1.5 inch RES hatchling turtle. I'm looking to get some fish for his/her tank, also. I do know that many people would advise against putting fish with turtles, but Nemo has never showed an interest in fish or live plants. I'm also looking for inspiration for his tank.

I hope this is in the right place, thank you for reading. :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The 36 you could do a livebearer tank. So platies, swirdtails, guppies, and mollies. For decor i would use lava rock to harden the water. Than some anubias tied to the rocks.

The 55 maybe a couple gold fish but i would do anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 36 you could do a livebearer tank. So platies, swirdtails, guppies, and mollies. For decor i would use lava rock to harden the water. Than some anubias tied to the rocks.

The 55 maybe a couple gold fish but i would do anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why wouldn't you do anything but goldfish in that tank? And which type of goldfish? Aren't there different kinds?

Would doing different live bearers look kind of.... Scattered? I guess is the right word.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What gender platies? i would do a school of corydoras if u have sand, maybe some mid schooling fish? tetras?
After getting the platies home I found out how to sex them and I have three females and one male.

The 55 gallon has sand and the 36 gallon has a bit of sand that I took from te 55.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Why wouldn't you do anything but goldfish in that tank? And which type of goldfish? Aren't there different kinds?

Would doing different live bearers look kind of.... Scattered? I guess is the right word.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't trust a turtle with really anything. Also what temp do you keep the 55 at?

The livebearer tank was just an idea...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
With a 55, you could house 4 fancy goldfish, no other fish. It doesn't sound like much, but they fill the tank and definitely fall under the category of fish with a lot of personality. My goldies all have very distinct personalities.

Likewise the 55 could do with a group of 6-7 angelfish and a few bottom critters.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Jasperdog

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't trust a turtle with really anything. Also what temp do you keep the 55 at?

The livebearer tank was just an idea...
Posted via Mobile Device
The tank is in the low to mid 80's.
And I'm nt sure if I stated in my original post, but my turtle is a hatchling and never showed an interest in fish. So I'm not worried about him eating them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With a 55, you could house 4 fancy goldfish, no other fish. It doesn't sound like much, but they fill the tank and definitely fall under the category of fish with a lot of personality. My goldies all have very distinct personalities.

Likewise the 55 could do with a group of 6-7 angelfish and a few bottom critters.
Posted via Mobile Device
I love goldfish but they are SUPER messy. And having them on top of a turtle would mean I need to get another, stronger filter.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I never saw you had a turtle...
Well you really shouldn't put anything with the turtle. If your turtle is a male, he's going to need a 75 gallon tank when he grows up... a female turtle will need a minimum 125 gallon tank. So it might be better to consider upgrading.

Reactions: Jasperdog

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would make a community tank. 2 angels,8 corydoras, swordtails,rummy nose tetras? 10 of them? maybe siamese algae eaters? idk
Rummynose arent a beginner fish, they can be very sensitive. SAEs are actually a schooling fish, which many people dont know. Two angels if males will fight. A male and female that dont pair up will fight. If you do angels the best thing is to get 6 babies. Grow them up, let them pair up, than only keep one pair. A group of angels isnt a best idea in a 55. You will have pairs everywhere.

Are any of these tanks planted?

Olympia is right...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never saw you had a turtle...
Well you really shouldn't put anything with the turtle. If your turtle is a male, he's going to need a 75 gallon tank when he grows up... a female turtle will need a minimum 125 gallon tank. So it might be better to consider upgrading.
Trust me, I know 100% that he/she will need an upgrade. My brother moves out soon and I'm getting his room. It will be a fish/animal/reptile/amphibian room and my dream is to have a 125 gallon indoor pond, a 125 gallon freshwater tank, and a 125 gallon saltwater tank.
I definitely know about turtles.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, we went to Petsmart, and my mom decided we need 9 tetras. I'm not sure the name but I will let you guys know as soon as I can look at the receipt. We also got four nerite snails, two for each tank.
The tetras will stock the 36 gallon, still undecided about the 55 but I might put my livebearers in the 55.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.