Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 10 gallon, 5 gallon, and 2.5 gallon tanks spread across my life. Thinking of getting a 30 gallon for Christmas.

I can't help but feel that AqAdvisor is underestimating the stocking. I'd like a mix of schooling fish.

2 orange dwarf crayfish
2 nerite snails
12 zebra danio
12 harlequin rasbora
12 cardinal tetra

That's only 106% stocked?

Dropping 2 fish from each school and adding 2 dwarf gourami is 103% stocked.

Don't both of those seem overstocked? Or maybe I'm just used to my smaller tanks where it's hard to find anything at all that fits.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I currently have a 10 gallon, 5 gallon, and 2.5 gallon tanks spread across my life. Thinking of getting a 30 gallon for Christmas.

I can't help but feel that AqAdvisor is underestimating the stocking. I'd like a mix of schooling fish.

2 orange dwarf crayfish
2 nerite snails
12 zebra danio
12 harlequin rasbora
12 cardinal tetra

That's only 106% stocked?

Dropping 2 fish from each school and adding 2 dwarf gourami is 103% stocked.

Don't both of those seem overstocked? Or maybe I'm just used to my smaller tanks where it's hard to find anything at all that fits.
Edit: I thought you meant all that in a 10. In a 30, with a good filter, should be fine. It's a lot of schooling fish though so maybe you take out one school (danios maybe).

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you don't have any aggression and you have plenty of filtration I think it would be just fine. I have 20 cichlids in my 75 gallon tank and they are all 4-7 inches. But I have enough filtration to filter all 75 gallons 20 times an hour. They show a little aggression but thats normal for African cichlids. They are all alive and doing well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would get about a third of those fish at a time I would use Bio-Spira. It is a great source of beneficial bacteria that will knock down ammonia quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Overstocking drastically increases the work you have to do; the wcs go way up, shocking the cycle gets bad quicker, fish can be more stressed, etc.
African cichlids like overstocking, just so the bullies aren't able to take over.
You can overstock a lot of things, as long as you're careful in how you do it, and how fast you make changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts