Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
There is a bulb that accomadates both, the only corals that kind of corals you would beable to get is the mushrooms. If you just have a regular tank you can buy a glass hood and they sell light fixtures for many sizes of tanks that contain both (Daylight bulb & actinic) It just depends on if you want to spend the money on that kind of light fixture.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
The general rule of thump is 4-5 watts per gal. for reef and 1-3 for fish only. If you stay within those limits you will be just fine.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Yes, Many, if not most aquarium corals contain within their tissue the symbiotic algae called zooxanthellae. It is these zooxanthellae that require light to perform photosynthesis and in turn produce simple sugars that the corals utilize for food. Therefore, the simple answer to light is to provide enough to maintain a thriving population of zooxanthellae in a corals tissue. In practice however, this can prove to be a very complex issue. If you don't provide the proper lighting needs the corals will became bleached. If that happens you can save them, but the chances of survival is low.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
You should be fine with placement on the sand if you wish. :D But you do need a actanic and a 10,000k flourescent. :D

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Then why is it every were I look they stat to feed your anemones a piece of shrimp no bigger then the size of there month?

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Alot of people over here don't use that like of lighting on a 30 gal they have either PC or T5's. But thats what I like about the hobby there are so many different views on what type of lighting to use. But to my question I am in the process of looking for a different lighting system for my 120 gal. I currently use the current satellite (2) 65 watt SmartPaq Daylight 10000K and (2) 65 watt Actinic 460nm together with (2) Lunar light. 260 watts total. 1.6 amps. Dimensions: 48.25" L x 7.5" W x 2.75" H. Includes fan. Model 1016. I have seen so many different types of lighting to use. I don't know if I want to build a wood top with 2 fans for the top, then I could build a lighting system or just buy the fixture. I have one SPS coral thats doing just fine undrethe PC. What kinds of lighting would you recommend. Also have you heard about this new lighting system that uses LED's and has 27 different settings to simulate stormy days and so on. What my LFS has said is that its supposed to be better then MH's. Just wondering if you heard about it. I'll find out more on that system.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I metioned that a reef should be over 4 at least I never metioned anything about a fish only watts per gallon. Since I swicthed from a 72 gal to a 120 gal. I would like to get another better fixture. I only have 2.2watts/gallon now. So I'm currently during research on different fixtures. I mean my corals are doing great, but for how long. I would love to get a fixture to hang from the ceiling but I live on military housing and do not trust the housing for something like that.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I'm currently in the marines and our base housing is new. But I'm stationed on a army base were the housing is basically card board box's.
In 4 years they are tearing these down so they don't care about them. Thats what I mean about not trusting the cieling. I was looking on ebay yesterday, didn't find anything. I fixture that you are showing is somewhat the one I was looking to get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts