Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting a 29G saltwater to African Cichlids. Not wanting to overstock the tank....what would be a good mix of compatible African Cichlids? Also, would the substrate from the saltwater tank be ok to reuse since it will buffer a higher PH? Thanks, been a while since I had South American Cichlids.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am converting a 29G saltwater to African Cichlids. Not wanting to overstock the tank....what would be a good mix of compatible African Cichlids? Also, would the substrate from the saltwater tank be ok to reuse since it will buffer a higher PH? Thanks, been a while since I had South American Cichlids.
So what are you wanting to go with? Africans or South Americans? You mention both. The substrate should be just fine to reuse, just (siphon or rinse)clean it as much as possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am converting it to an African..sorry for the confusion, what I meant on that last sentence was I used to raise South American Cichlids. Thanks for the tip on the substrate!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Still up in the air on that one, any recommendations? I am using a fluval 307 canister and a aquaclear 50 hob as filtration.
For a 29g my recommendation is a Mbuna tank. As long as you keep it crowded enough and provide the right scape, they will cohabitate successfully together. They come in almost every color you can think of these days as well. Do you have a local fish shop/store near you that you can go check out? (not petsmart or petco etc.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a 29g my recommendation is a Mbuna tank. As long as you keep it crowded enough and provide the right scape, they will cohabitate successfully together. They come in almost every color you can think of these days as well. Do you have a local fish shop/store near you that you can go check out? (not petsmart or petco etc.)
I do....a feed store that stocks Saltwater/Brackish and Freshwater with over 150 tanks. Thanks for the recommendations, I will check out the Mbuna.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts