Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tank looks great. When I clicked on it, I noticed a picture on the bottom with black substrate. What substrate is that and is it suitable for planted?
I used "Black Diamond Blasting abrasives"; which I purchased at Tractor Supply for $8 a 50 pound bad. There are different sizes from extra fine to extra course. Get which is best for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used "Black Diamond Blasting abrasives"; which I purchased at Tractor Supply for $8 a 50 pound bad. There are different sizes from extra fine to extra course. Get which is best for you.
Should have said that that stuff (black diamond) is black; for tan sand I used THT pool filter sand from Ace Hardware. Both were exceptionally clean!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually what I do is to direct a fan at the bag and pour moving just beyond where the fan blows the sand. Only the dust is blown. Then I rinse it once, pour into the tank and put a plastic bag and dim
Miner plate on top of the bag. I then gently pour the water on the plate so the sand is not disturbed.I don't use the filter for about 24 hours so much of the silt comes to rest. After hooking up the filter I clean it after a day or so.....never had a problem - yet!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.