Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I preferr pool filter sand. It is super cheap 5-10$ It is generally light brown, and is easier than play sand to clean. Lowes has it and varous other major retailers in the usa. I highly preferr sand as opposed to gravel, and the colored sand I tried from the pet store sucked pretty bad as it bled off the color and was really hard to get clean.
I agree, I prefer PFS over play sand hands down. My experience with play sand was awful - I can't understand why it's suggested. Must have been the brand?.....

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
What problem did it give you? Not going to try to troubleshoot but I am curious.

Jeff.
It was as dirty as can be. By the time I was done washing it, all the softness was gone; It was sharp. and it was an ugly greyish color in the tank. I believe I used quickcrete, which I've seen suggested many times.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Different forums push different substrates. This one is heavy on the play sand, while others push the PFS.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I have 3 different brands of pool filter sand - They're all fantastic. It's WIDELY used. I don't recall ever hearing about pool filter sand being treated with anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts