Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 29 gallon long, which was meant to be a planted tank, but i really didn't set it up to be very good for plants. it had cichlids sand mixed with random pebbles as substrate (cause i had extra) kept the light from the kit, so im guessing it wasn't very strong, no Co2 either. i had some anubias,java fern ,crypts and amazon swords, and literally for two months they all slowly deteriorated or stayed in the exact same shape since i bought them. i was more focused on the fish in this tank, not so much the plants, but i think better plant growth would be a lot cooler.

long story short, my crap light bulb died, so i put some random light fixture on it that is a bit to small for the tank, but it has one light bulb in it, and after two weeks with this temp light im seeing tons of new shoots and leaves, so i got kinda excited.

since this, i changed my substrate to fluorite on top and eco-complete planted aquarium substrate on the bottom.i found an old Co2 apparatus, but im pretty sure its for a 20 gallon, its the dual chamber thing that you fill with co2 in the tank, not sure if its even good. if its underrated for my tank could it still provide enough co2?

im planning on getting a second bulb on this small fixture, to provide even more light considering its to small for the tank, the first bulb says 65 watts, so im gonna get another one,would this be at least medium rating for light?

i also was wondering on a shopping list for additives, i.e liquid ferts ,roots tabs

if my lighting is ok, im gonna try to move the lesser light plants to the sides, and try medium light plants more in the middle.

any tips for me at this point? maybe help me out with some pointers or tell me anything im doing wrong.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
One of you problems may have been cichlids. they eat plants and generally make a mess of them.

For lighting I use 1.5-2 watts/gallon (29g that equals 44watts to 58w) of 6500k fluorescent. You can get 20w spiral pig tail screw in incandescent replacement 6500k bulbs at wall mart and most stores. Be sure to use the actual wattage not the incandescent bulb replacement wattage.

then read the link in my signature. Those methods will produce fast growing plants, a stable easy to maintain tank. But not with cichlids. For cichlids it would be best to partition the tank so you have a planted area and separate fish area.

my .02

1 - 2 of 2 Posts