Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only 3 days into cycling my tank, and am in no hurry, this time around, now that I'll be 58 in October, & I'm disabled with a lot of time on my hands. I've been watching DEFINITEAQUASCAPE.TV on YouTube and found a 9 year old girl whose tank is very close to what I have in mind for mine. Starts at about 8:30, towards the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNhxkOQKkqQ&list=PLVMXkhEMzQMmPJQYoM852IoQaac063VLd

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
26 Gallon Planted Community (Soft, Acid) pt. 2

Day 5. Have been watching YouTube videos on plant preparation followed by the creation of an island 360 degree tank by James Findley

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 6. Put in Aqueon TA200 200W heater, temporary hanging mercury thermometer, & temporary Marineland Penguin 200 200 gph hanging filter with charcoal removed from cartridge. Got API Freshwater Master Test Kit & am doing preliminary water testing. Just tested pH @ 7.8 --- gonna need a LOT of rainwater; that's why I bought 5 10 gal buckets, lol. Been rooting tropical plants in the tank since day 1 & am seeing some good root development.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have another ride til Friday, so I ordered some Dr Tim's Ammonium chloride through Amazon Prime that will be here Thursday.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 7. The Aqueon Water Conditioner I got reduces ammonia, (very fine print), so I'm tossing that & ordered Stresscoat from Amazon Prime that will be here Thursday with the ammonia. Just raised the heat a bit. Had set the Aqueon heater to 80 to start, (the tank being at 68), & this morning the temp was right on 80, so the heater is working good.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day 8. Evening. Found a suitable container to hold my Chlorophytum comosum, pothos, & unidentified pond-side plant, so that only their roots are in water. Us poor folks got to use what w got, lol.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day 9. Morning. Temp @ 84, so turned the heater up a little more. Waiting on my water conditioner& ammonia from Amazon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 10. 11-11:40am. Ran water test: pH 8.2; Ammonia 4ppm; NO2 2ppm; NO3 5ppm. Placed my plants in separate water source before testing until cycling is complete, as I want full control of the cycling without the plants absorbing any of the ammonia.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Day 8. Evening. Found a suitable container to hold my Chlorophytum comosum, pothos, & unidentified pond-side plant, so that only their roots are in water. Us poor folks got to use what w got, lol.
What kind of container did you get? How did you attach them to tank? Would LOVE to see the setup!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cut out the center hump on my API test kit lid & stuck the roots of my pothos & airplane/spider plant through, then poked holes in the sides to run fishing line up to a hook in the ceiling. (the blue line in this pic represents the line going up to the ceiling). I was floating the plants in my tank until I got my ammonia, but now they're temporarily floating in an ice cream bucket until I get my tank cycled. If I had more accurate testing equipment, I would have left the plants in the tank, but trying to maintain 4ppm ammonia until the cycle is complete, with the plants absorbing an unknown amount of the ammonia, is too much a pain in the rear going by colors only. I have decided I'm going to get real test equipment, cause I've made up my mind to do a 55 gallon Discus tank in the living room, once I've got this tank where I want it. I'm not in a big hurry --- if it takes me a year to get this tank where I want it, maybe even a year and a half, it'll be all right by me. All I care about is doing it right. I'm posting a picture of my plants with the other pics of my tank on my Aquariums tab.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found a much better container for my plants that can only have their roots in the water; a clear plastic salad container that will serve, with a couple drops of silicone & poking holes on the bottom as the permanent container for such plants.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did water test. pH 8.2; Ammonia 4ppm; Nitrites 5ppm, Nitrate 10ppm. I expected to see an increase in nitrites, but not such a spike in nitrate. Double-checked it.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts