Tropical Fish Keeping banner

2006: How much have you spend on your aquarium so far?

5K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Matt 
#1 ·
I think I have reached 30000-40000 pesos this year.:blueshake: That is equivalent to 600-800 US dollars.:blink:

The joys of fishkeeping.:crazy:

Saltwater can be counted into your bills!!!:checkedout:

#6 ·
Oooh..Now I fear this year is going to be more expensive.:blueshake: If I see a batch of Galaxy Rasboras in my lfs' tank, I'd go crazy and buy a new tank(preferably 30-40 gallons).:crazy: Same goes with altums if I encounter them on my summer vacation on May.:mrgreen:

Still have to wait for my order of gold rams, Apistogramma agassizi and Apistogramma borelli.:checkedout:

Buying a tank is so expensive.:shake: Filter, heater, plants(if my friend won't give me more :checkedout: ) and gravel.:sob:

#8 ·
Mel, what about the saltwater?:mrgreen:
I'll edit my first post to include the saltwater.:mrgreen:

#9 ·
Lauri said:
crazie.eddie said:
Man. I can imagine. My plans to start a reef tank would cost me about $10,000 (USD) and that doesn't include the fish
WOW, passing out now. :lol:
LOL. I want to go all out with my future reef tank...

135 gallon tank
Stand/canopy
Wet/dry trickle filter with sump
Metal hallide lights
Skimmers
Pumps
Heater and Chiller
Monitoring system with software
Salt
Sand
LR

Luckily, I already bought an RO/DI filter last year and I recently picked up a 55 gallon food grade container for water storage (FREE from Craigslist). Now if only someone would give the above list for free, I'ld be stoked.

#11 ·
herefishy said:
Does anyone know how many Snickers' bars that would buy?
2000 in terms of Philippine peso I think.:checkedout: :wink2:

#13 ·
My guess between the 7 tanks.

About $4,000 for 4 established freshwater tanks, now about $10,000 total in 2 years.

About $7,000 for 3 salt tanks, about $15,000 total over 1.5 years.

Thats's for everything, electricity, fish, supplies. This year is going to be even worse. Projected 400g tank and set up, about $8,000 will be earmarked but I'll be lucky to get the water, liverock and substrate in it by the end of 07 for that little amount of cheese.

#15 ·
I am unfortunately in there with CM:

I purchased my bow front tenecor in 2006.

Then paid a LFS to "set it up" which was absolutely no joy.

Then had to retrofit the aquarium in order to cause it to functrion.

Then had to buy fish, GN's, QA's, etc.

Then had to buy supplies to make the aquarium function.

Then had to buy pumps due to my experiementations.

Just goes on and on.

TR

#19 ·
I think that if I had saved all the money ive spent on fish in my life I would be a bit richer lol. :roll: Perhaps enough to buy my self a new car. :shock: :lol: Was it worth the money? I think so. Nothing can take away the knowledge and appreciation I now have for aquatic and marine life.

#20 ·
Well gumpster, I did get the 125g, glass canopies, and cabinet on sale for $500. Went downhill from there. The total includes 150# of gravel, 4 power heads, ugf, 2 Magnum 350s, 3 Marineland 400s, 4 light strips, rock work, driftwood, don't know how many swords, anubius, crypts, apondogen, java ferns, java moss, acoris, and other plants. I was kind of surprised myself when I had to get my VISA out. It was well worth it though. It is one of my best looking tanks and is still "growing in". It is probably the last BIG tank I'll invest in. The fish room downstairs, where all of the breeding/rearing tanks are, seems to be taking more and more of my time(and money).

#23 ·
lol, i don't know, i think i save a little
buy using ebay,but i think i will keep all my
receipts this year and count it all up at the end.
i'll let you know then. :)

#25 ·
Last time Mrs. Hat decided to "speak" with me about it, it was in the neighborhood of $5K for 8 tanks running and 4 on deck. I have no desire to be any more precise than that.

Net time I take up a hobby, it'll be something cheaper, like eating gold bullion. :roll:

Still, my ottos are fat, my loaches are playful, and my tetras just poke along happily, so I'd say it was worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.