Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a normal 20 gallon with cories and kuhlis but want to turn it into a 20 gallon long because with what I have, it might turn out better. I had a few questions though:

I will move the playsand/water/filter into the new tank, I will need to add some more sand in order to get a better root system for the plants. I have a piece of wood I will add some Java Fern to. I was looking for crypts and possibly Water Sprite.

Ferts - Right now I have liquid ferts but I saw that tabs last for 2-3 months and I only have to plant possibly 3 because I only want plants in a certain area. I know Water Sprite work best floating and get their nutrients from water, so I should stick with my water ferts?

Lighting - Low tech, I have two options. I'm going to buy a small sheet of glass for a lid instead of buying a canopy from the store, a 10 gallon lid was $45 last time I was there, I can get glass cut for $10 and use that. My current light is for a regular 20 gallon so it will only be a 18" light. My choice is either to use it for now and center my plants around the light, or look for a cheap shop light thats 30" long I can place ontop of the glass and get a proper bulb. Which would benefit me more?

Co2 - there wont be any, I dont want to get involved with that just yet, and this tank is my girlfriends so I dont want to kill her cories getting the mixture wrong.

Any thoughts/inputs?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I have a 75 gallon I could put it in once it grows large enough, plus other 21" tall tanks. I had Hornwort before and for some odd reason once I moved it out of my 125 gallon into a 75 and 35, it died pretty fast still have no idea why.

I have two crypts who have done pretty well even after moving them out of the 125 which I later read they apparently dont do too well being moved. I didnt think of crushing the tabs when initially setting up the tank, sounds like a great idea

Water Wisteria look nice and are really cheap, however it says they grow up to 20" but I could always trim it. It would be something I have to buy online, how long can plants live in shipment? I know fish are 1 day but I dont know how long plants can go in shipment before dieing or melting too much.

The reason I moved the hornwort out of my 125 was because I installed a 1400gph pump for my clown/yoyo loaches and it moved them around too much. My swords are starting to die so I might take them out and possibly plant the sprite leftovers or let it float around in the calmer corner of the tank

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hornwort is an odd plant. I tried in it my tanks and all it did was fall apart. I hear it prefers hard water. Water Wisteria can do well if you trim it back every once in a while. The trimmings can always be replanted into other tanks.

I don't know how well they do. I've had plants spend a few days in shipment and turn out fine but those were hardy plants like Java Fern.
I guess I could always try it out, the store I go to has Java Fern but I got an email saying they got a new plant stock in so we'll see when I go on Wednesday. I've never tested my KH/GH but I believe I do have harder water, a few people around here have no problems breeding cichlids with our tap water

Now to find a decent place that ships to Canada

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info as usual, I've made some modifications after doing more research last night and looking around Plantedtank and I think i'm going to go with CFL lighting and using the metal clamp lights you can buy at the hardware store with some 6500k bulbs. I have a piece of custom cut glass in my pictus/oscar tank which I need to have recut now that the tank they're in has a center support brace. I never go over the entire width of the tank so theres room for oxygen to get in, and easy places to feed/room for filter pipes.

I need to call the glass place in town, but I believe a piece of 30x8 glass will only cost me about $15, a piece of 48x15 1/4 glass was only around $40 or so. I'm trying to keep the cost down on this project, when I bought the 10 gallon lid/light for $50 I was shocked because I could have bought a 10 gallon kit for basically the same price.

I can also clip the lights into the tank or make a diy support stand so I can hang them over the tank and go lidless.

I know Wisteria is a fast grower, but I want to experiment with it and I know I'll prob turn my 75 gallon into a low tech planted tank full of easy to grow plants and put a good chunk in there. I do need to buy a KH/GH test or see if my LFS will do a test for me, but I know I have harder water in my area, PH around 7.5 or so and people here breed cichlids well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.