Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
766 Posts
One of the things I would like to suggest is the idea of buying some high quality root tabs and grind them down into a fine powder. Litter it on the bottom of tank (especially where the planting is going to go) before moving your sand over. This will help jump start nutrients for any root feeders if you plan any. For the most part you'd probably be fine with just liquid fert. I've noticed a heavy water feeder like Water Wisteria seems to benefit from root tabs though (have an explosion of growth since adding one to where it's roots are).

If you are getting crypts...you are going to want to make use of root tabs. It's not that expensive when you consider how long a single tab can last.

The only other thing I can contribute is to be wary of the Water Sprite in a 20 gallon long. I had it in an old 20 gallon long set up and it was a hitch hiker with new plants. I ended up putting it's roots into my substrate and the thing grew taller than the tank was, curled over and then began growing out into the length of the tank. It was kind of neat but...it goes to show how it can and will outgrow the 20 long.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Thanks for the info, I have a 75 gallon I could put it in once it grows large enough, plus other 21" tall tanks. I had Hornwort before and for some odd reason once I moved it out of my 125 gallon into a 75 and 35, it died pretty fast still have no idea why.

I have two crypts who have done pretty well even after moving them out of the 125 which I later read they apparently dont do too well being moved. I didnt think of crushing the tabs when initially setting up the tank, sounds like a great idea

Water Wisteria look nice and are really cheap, however it says they grow up to 20" but I could always trim it. It would be something I have to buy online, how long can plants live in shipment? I know fish are 1 day but I dont know how long plants can go in shipment before dieing or melting too much.

The reason I moved the hornwort out of my 125 was because I installed a 1400gph pump for my clown/yoyo loaches and it moved them around too much. My swords are starting to die so I might take them out and possibly plant the sprite leftovers or let it float around in the calmer corner of the tank
Hornwort is an odd plant. I tried in it my tanks and all it did was fall apart. I hear it prefers hard water. Water Wisteria can do well if you trim it back every once in a while. The trimmings can always be replanted into other tanks.

I don't know how well they do. I've had plants spend a few days in shipment and turn out fine but those were hardy plants like Java Fern.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.