Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :)

After 2 years if running a tank and going through multiple fish and a couple plants Im finally bringing myself to ask some questions... sad i know :*(

Current Setup
29 Gallon Tank
1 light which i just found out should be changed yearly...
2 filters, 1 tetra 45, 1 aqueon something... was rated for 45 gal also
gravel only bottom
new aqueon heater
a quiet tetra air supply with 1 stone that needs to be changed...

2 oranda golfish that are no longer red capped
4 salt n pepper cats
1 pleco that flips out once in a while all over the tank named Joey
2 decorative plants, not real and 2 other decor items

Ok so to explain the double filter we had 20 fish at one point. Yes too much but my wife wanted them lol. I just kept them running even though were down to 7.

Why would the goldfish lose their red caps?

What is a good brand of flourescent light bulbs?

Do bacteria actually grow on those plastic deals they put in the power filters? Tried a Marineland biowheel but it stopped spinning entirely causing the top to dry out plus it was loud.

Do you really need to add more bacteria when doing water changes?
If so, what brand is best?

Gravel and live plants, yes or no
Live plants and goldfish, yes or no
Naturally the airstone gets pulled.

Tank gets alot of white crusty build ups: Is it Calcium?

Will it be safe to add Glass catfish?

Okies I think Im done asking dumb newb questions now.... Been tryingto read some books also, any suggestions greatly appreiated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Additional Info

Thank you all for your replies, greatly appreciated! :) I kinda figured 2 goldfish was probably too much so it's not surprising to hear that.

I took a couple pics of the tank and uploaded to my Album, not sure how to post on here though lol.

I got one of the tank in full, one of the pleco up close (Still have yet to determine his exact species) and also my recent Nitrogen cycle testing which is another area I have troubles with.

My NO3 is ALWAYS stupidly high. No matter how many water changes I try to do between 25-75%, clean gravel, etc. it will never not be red... It's annoying! It was doing that well before we even had goldfish. For the first time in a while a tinge of green appeared in the ammonia but I had done a 30% water change last night. We are using Prime now for the water changes, was using a different brand before (All I remember it was a grey label with a green triangle on 1 bottle, orange triangle on the other).

Again i'd post the pics here if I knew how.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.